RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had a wheel bearing going bad, I had a ringing sound from the front right corner while driving. Here is what it turned out to be. On the back of the brake pads are little springs which counter the force pushing them away from the center of the rotor. On of the springs was broken. The only thing preventing the pad from moving out from the center was the lip at the edge of the rotor. So, since the rotors have a pretty big lip, I will shortly be replacing all four rotors and pads.
To test (hopefully) the bearings, I tried to wobble the wheel with it raise off the ground and there was zero play that I could detect, and then with the pads removed, I spun the rotor and it was silent. On both sides, I think I can detect a little transmitted noise from the spider gears, I have seen this before in other vehicle so I am not overly concerned about it.

:)

1997 AA Yellow 4.6 HSE

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
A good way to test the wheel bearings is to turn from side to side while driving down the road (don't do it in front of a cop... he'll think you're drunk). If the sound gets louder when you turn to the right it's a left side bearing... if it goes away when you turn to the left it's almost definitely a left side bearing. Vice versa for the other side. Then you need to figure out the front from the rear.

Cliffs notes: If it gets louder or quieter as you transfer the weight of the rig by turning there's a good chance it's the wheel bearing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts