RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears my OBD connector has some sort of problem. Or maybe its deeper than the connector itself. Ive plugged my Rovacom lite into the OBD socket. The connector powers the unit but won't communicate. I thought maybe it was the laptop I purchased second hand. So I said let me try a different one. I have a hand held unit that I keep in my car. I plug it in, it powers up. Once I try to get it to read codes, it goes through whatever it does at start up. Then says there's an error or problem with the connection and won't communicate with the truck. As much as I want to pull the lower panel out where the connector is and rummage around looking for a frayed wire, I figured it would be best to post here to get a more knowledgable opinion from you guys before I do more harm than good. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

·
Super Moderator
2,197 Posts
If you've had a water leak from the plenum, it can drip down into the back of the socket and corrode it. If it all looks OK there, pull the RH kick panel off (where the inertia switch lives) and there's a white multiway connector there which also corrodes if it gets damp. This connector also carries the signals from various ECUs to the OBD port. Usual cure for that is to cut it out, one wire at a time, and solder and heat shrink jumper wires to bypass the connector.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you've had a water leak from the plenum, it can drip down into the back of the socket and corrode it. If it all looks OK there, pull the RH kick panel off (where the inertia switch lives) and there's a white multiway connector there which also corrodes if it gets damp. This connector also carries the signals from various ECUs to the OBD port. Usual cure for that is to cut it out, one wire at a time, and solder and heat shrink jumper wires to bypass the connector.
I will definitely do the investigating as you suggested. Wont cutting the wires to bypass the connector rendering useless? I would like to convert the truck back to air suspension and would like to know what faults, if any, are stored in the ECU.

·
Super Moderator
2,197 Posts
No, as long as you reconnect each wire then it won't affect anything. EAS signals pass through a similar connector behind the LH kick panel. The connectors are only there so the loom can be made in sections and plugged together when the car was built so unless you intend stripping the car to it's component parts you will never need to disconnect them anyway.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
Just a thought, probably corroded wires but when I had an issue last year I was using an obj cable for a different car, they are not all the same! Then realised the fuse for the obd port had blown, replaced that and all restored

1 - 5 of 5 Posts