RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a scanner but I want to spend under $75.00. After much Tim researching I have found several decent models on amazin but I am considering one of the low cost wifi or Bluetooth models and then download my choice of software app for my iOS. I would like to know if someone has had a positive experience with either a corded model like the Autel brand or a wifi model and then download torque app or something similar.

Thanks
Phillip

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,722 Posts
First off we have no clue what Rover you are trying to diagnose so input on this subject can only be general. Please review the forum guidelines and add your Rover's info to your signature so you can gain more accurate answers.

As far as going cheap and buying generic scanners, you get what you pay for. You will be able to read the most basic of standardized engine codes but will have no access to proprietary sub systems like SRS, EAS, HVAC, transmission, stability control, ABS or any BeCM or BCM settings. Many cheepo bits of gear don't even provide live data let alone give a full picture.

If you are at all serious about working on your own rig and keeping up with the various systems you will need to expand your budget. Anything basic will still require diagnostic visits to a dealer or indie for any subsystem errors. As you can imagine proper diagnostic gear pays for itself very quickly with saved expenses on di it yourself repairs or being able to visit an indie with an educated request for a repair.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts