RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, can anybody tell me if an universal obd2 reader which can read live data will show the transmission temperature? I'm about to change the oil cooler and the filter of the transmission and i think it will be very easy to fill the transmission if the temperature can be read this way. Or maybe an other simple solution to read the temperature?

Kind regards, Rolf

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Not sure if a reader will do it. I bought a laser thermometer to check temps. If you get one it may appear a bit erratic but it should let you know if the trans cooler is doing its job-is in and out temps of the oil on one side and the water on the other different by 15 degrees or so-also the trans thermostat could be checked this way also. Our trans cooler was totally plugged on the water side but the oil side was clear. I am not sure how precise the oil temp must be to get the correct level in there. Perhaps a chemist who visits this site can provide a possible coefficient of expansion for trans fluid so we would all know what we are dealing with.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, it is not to check the temperature for the parts you mentioned, they are all new except for the oil cooler. Nice to hear that yours was plugged on the water side. I suspect mine has the same problem.
I was thinking about a laser thermometer as well. But measuring the temperature of the oil through the filler plug hole looks a bit difficult?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I get that. It was only to check that the tranny cooler is working as it should.(if you were not sure and wanted to be) If you aim the laser thermometer at the pan it will provide the temperature. And you can aim it at the in and out lines to see what the temps are and if they are different. I bought mine for half price at a swap shop. I am keen on knowing because we just had to redo the trans and and I am sure that a plugged trans cooler hastened its demise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next week i will change the transcooler, up to now there are no problems with the transmission except from the transmission overheat message in a paris traffic jam of an hour in hot weather. There after no problems any more.
I will buy a laser thermometer, so you think if you just aim it at the outside of the gearbox this will tell the oil temperature?

Kind regards, Rolf

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,294 Posts
.....provide a possible coefficient of expansion for trans fluid so we would all know what we are dealing with.
The volumetric coefficient of expansion for ATF will be around 0.07%/°C so a fluid temperature error of 10°C on 9.9 litres of fluid is equivalent to around 0.07 litres.

Phil

P.S. It’s far, far, far, far more important that you have the engine running (rather than not running) when you set the fluid level than getting the temperature spot on.

http://www.xoutpost.com/1009859-post73.html

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
And that is the real answer. Many thanks again to rrphil

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So actually it is all most impossible to overfill the gearbox when the outside temperature is around 20 degrees Celsius ass long ass the engine is running;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replaced the oilcooler today, just filled her up with oil and connected the hoses. There was an enormous difference in flow when blowing through the coolant side, this must make a difference when i will be in a traffic jam next time.
Thanks for all your replies:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts