RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found an ODB2 port lock that you are happy with? I am looking for a recommendation after seeing the rash of L494 thefts in the EU and UK.

It's pretty spooky how easy cars with keyless entry/keyless start can be stolen.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Get "The Club" for your steering wheel or whatever new and improved version is now available ... an upfront visual deterrent is even better.

But are you seeing any increase in car thefts in your particular area of NJ? I don't know anyone who has had their car stolen in my area of LA and not something I worry about.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not heard of many "local" or even US thefts of L494s... but I don't think there are that many of them here yet. There is a huge problem in the UK for RR theft. In fact, police in the UK have been told to pull-over all RRs to verify the driver is actually the owner.

Here in the US, there have been increasing thefts of other branded keyless-start vehicles (BMW, Audi, etc).

The thieves have the technology and although I'm insured well, I really don't want my car stolen.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
awry, I think you have to look at London like NYC. Even some of the high end areas don't have an inside secure garage. Most of the thefts in London seem to happen overnight when the car is parked on the street or in an open driveway. The US isn't as convenient a source, for the countries that have a market for stolen luxury cars. If you have an inside garage at home and park in secured street garages when out, then you are in a very low risk position.

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
890 Posts
There is an beta app out of germany that is on a couple of forums. You can put it on any newer Android device, walk up to any vehicle with push button start/stop and it will scan for the signal, then the security code, unlock, start and you can drive away . OBD2 lock won't help if crooks are using the app. As they did in Bedford, NH where 3 rovers where stolen off the dealer lot, Peabody,Mass and Scamwood IE: Norwood mass LR dealers.

I saw a e-mail from Audi at the dealer saying if you want to make your car unhackable , when parking in questionable areas, they are telling clients to open the hood and pull out the ECU, fuel pump and starter relays before walking away.

Personally, I have a RS5 with a bluetooth keyfob, If they want it that bad..... that is what insurance is for. I have " new car replacement" on my auto policy's and full coverage maxed out, if they steal it, just gives me an excuse to go buy another one or newer model.

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is an beta app out of germany that is on a couple of forums. You can put it on any newer Android device, walk up to any vehicle with push button start/stop and it will scan for the signal, then the security code, unlock, start and you can drive away.
Do you have any link to the foras where this is discussed? would be interesting reading

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Banned
890 Posts
Most of them are using Bluetooth for sensing the key fob and what door it's near . The problem is is that it's not 128 or 265 but encrypted , it's 36 bit code which came be hacked quickly . All LR/jag , tesla , Audi , vw , Porsche , benz , BMW , Nissan/infinity , GM all use Bluetooth signals , which are easily hacked.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Most of them are using Bluetooth for sensing the key fob and what door it's near . The problem is is that it's not 128 or 265 but encrypted , it's 36 bit code which came be hacked quickly . All LR/jag , tesla , Audi , vw , Porsche , benz , BMW , Nissan/infinity , GM all use Bluetooth signals , which are easily hacked.

Ok, so it is for Keyless entry devices that you are most exposed?

·
Banned
890 Posts
Ok, so it is for Keyless entry devices that you are most exposed?
Yes , but the vehicles with data connections can be also hacked . Tesla claimed theirs was the safest and unhackable, in Vegas at a security & hackers conference there was a guy the hacked a tesla , turned it on , made everything light up , then drove the car via a laptop 200' away .

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yes , but the vehicles with data connections can be also hacked . Tesla claimed theirs was the safest and unhackable, in Vegas at a security & hackers conference there was a guy the hacked a tesla , turned it on , made everything light up , then drove the car via a laptop 200' away .

Wow. That is just insane. Why in the world would they not use 256 encryption on something like this?
It's not even the car I'm worried about. It's my laptop, in the car! The car is replaceable, the stuff inside may not be.

·
Banned
890 Posts
Wow. That is just insane. Why in the world would they not use 256 encryption on something like this?
It's not even the car I'm worried about. It's my laptop, in the car! The car is replaceable, the stuff inside may not be.
Remote backups are a must , mine does any file change backups to carbonate every time I connect ton the net .

But yeah no reason for un-secure vehicle systems , many 2nd ,3rd , 4th ,5th party companies can secure the simplest things .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts