RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!
Ive got a 1993 County Sport, 185k miles, just fitted a used 4.2L to replace the 3.9 and replaced the crap trans for a better used one. My dilemma is that when driving now, which hasn't happened before, I get the Check Engine Light. It stays on when driving, as soon as I turn the car off it doesn't come back for a while after driving.
My OBD1 scanner under the passenger seat works, but.......I will turn the key to engage the reader and it flashes very quickly as if its shorting out. I get out, pull the negative cable, put it back on, turn the key and the reader works. Only code is 02. turn the key off, turn it back on and watch the reader... again...it flashes something but doesn't have a code and the reader seems messed up. I replaced the reader and it does the exact same thing.
Anyone know what would be causing the reader to only work when I pull the negative cable, but stop working after turning the key multiple times for the reader to engage?
Truck runs great otherwise.

·
Registered
975 Posts
02 code is your battery was disconnected
And your not haveing codes maybe because you don’t have any problems
Since it’s running great
You can create codes though
Disconnect your tps
Or anything the code reader covers
I don’t recommend you do this
Or just wait till they come up
Or get rover gauge it’s somrthing to
Play with and will read your motor while running
On a laptop

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm aware of the 02 code. Thing is that thats the only code I get because the reader doesn't work after that. When the Check Engine Light comes on I look at the reader and nothing is present. I turn the car off and turn the car back on and the light is gone. The reader doesn't show any codes, as soon as I turn the key and watch it it flashes what looks like the numbers but is blank after that. Almost as if its shorting out. I have to take the negative lead off the battery before it will work again and then its only 02 I get.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the white wire on the O2 sensor was snapped, probably when installing the engine or transmission. Still don't know what shorts out the OBD reader.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts