RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I’m on the site daily missed the announcement that it was moving to a new platform. New things and change I’m not always sure about so we’ll see but I need to do an adaptive reset and can’t get my msv2 extreme to fire up, ok using a separate power supply so it’s not the msv so. Suspect the obd port which has worked without problems previously (although it has been replaced by a PO - I’ll assume water damaged it and a replacement has been crimp connected into place.but searching bears no fruit and seems no data is available for previous threads? Any help on how to test the obd gratefully received. I have the msv, RAVE etc etc

·
Super Moderator
2,084 Posts
You should have 12V from fuse 33 (5A) in the underbonnet fusebox and ground on pins 4 and 5. Check those are present (crimps have a nasty habit of going open circuit while still looking good). As long as those three are OK, it should at least fire up. Data for the engine ECU is on pin 9.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuse 33 fine but changed anyway. I’ll go check for an earth on pins 4 and 5, which pin delivers the +12volts at the port end in the car?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
12 volts on pin 16 earths where they should be still not firing up. In case I’m being a complete numpty I thought the obd powered the msv extreme and didn’t need a separate power supply

·
Super Moderator
2,084 Posts
Don't know, I've got a Nanocom and a generic OBD scanner, both of those are powered from the OBD socket, no idea about the MSV but I would have thought it would be the same. Not got any corrosion in the plug by any chance?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, there is voltage at the port but I can’t read 12+ I’d expect to see, I’m going to try it
with a stand-alone power supply

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok hint it’s the earth wire as I’ve chopped off the crimped ie replaced socket got 12.18 volts at the brown wire pin 16 and full continuity on pin5 but pin 4 ie black wire is decidedly past it’s use by date and whilst using a stand-alone power supply fires up the msv it fails to communicate so the question has to be: is the black simply an earth that I can splice in a fresh solid earth into the port or am I creating more issues. I just don’t know how far back I’d need to strip the loom or indeed if I could get at it

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
It can ground to anywhere... Pin 4 goes to a splice and then ends up at the ground point(E0562) in behind the RHF kick panel trim (by the connectors that get manky!). Pin 5 ground goes through the kick panel connector and splices with other things to the ground point (E0559) in behind the coolant header tank in the engine bay.

I believe one of them is the ground for the power supply, and the other is the ground for the diagnostic connection - so without them both, you won't get communications. I don't see any reason why you can't tie it to somewhere more convenient though with a fresh wire.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks as always Martin. Just got to deal with some ragwort in daughters horse field in the morning then onto it. Richard

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so hot 12 bolts on the brown. 2 decent earths still won't power up the msv then I find the car battery is discharged so chsrgi9that. Msv powers up on a standalone power supply but no comms... Martin. Would wiring to the becm be a workaround?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so just spent an unproductive 2 nhours checking pins on the obd, the 16 pin lead to try and determine why my msv won’t powe up off the obd port( 1 have for another vehicle powers up but no comms). The only pin that doesn’t play ball is number 5 the black /purple ground which only has continuity at the metal jacket of the lead where it screws into the msv. Am just thinking of joining pins 4&5 ie both grounds together thoughts?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,198 Posts
Can't hurt to try it - from memory the Black/Purple is the data ground - so dunno why it isn't powering up... strange alright!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers for the input Martin. As far as I can see yes the black/purple is data ground but it’s bugging me out as to why msv won’t power up without an independent power supply but trying to think logically any break in the data connection is going to be a non starter.... right, back to it in the morning

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so wired p8ns 4&5 to earth still nada so bugging me as it has to be something simple. I note that the black/purple wire pin4 or5 just can’t recall is a ground but the pin on the obd lead goes to ground on the metal “casing “ that screws into the msv which is confusing me... thoughts anyone

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PROGRESS!
Now take this slowly and accept I had a major brain haemorrhage 3 years ago. So between my sons and me we have 3 scanners therefore we should have 3 obd leads right. So how many do I have er that’s 2 so simples 1 missing but at £50 for. Replacement BBS lead had a dig around and found another lead plugged that in and yippeethe msv fires up and connects to the car.. as I was really short of time didn’t have my keys on me to switch on the ignition so got the message no data not surprising. But this is real progress. And came about as I reread the bbs site which says it wires it’s own obd leads and do not follow a standard protocol. So all that messing and it [email protected] I’ve been using the wrong lead, YES, WOT A MUPPET

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pentel make a steel tiped fine-point correction pen (ZL31-W) that is great for tagging black plastic items. The ink is terriffic...bites well on plastic, and I've used it to mark timing notches on pulleys, and write my street number in my rubbish bins.:D

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Successfully completed an adaptive settings reset and a security relearn (in prep to installing a mobi4 immobiliser bypass) yippee so much wAsted time for such a basic mistake. So all leads now have identifying tags to prevent a recurrence and the mobi4 installed as per the supplied instructions for once worked out of the box

1 - 18 of 18 Posts