RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a UK spec Feb 2000 DSE and I have been trying to read the engine data through the OBD port without success.

I am using a bluetooth "CarPal" OBD II reader which uses the ELM 327 chip. It works fine on other cars (Ford) and there is also nothing wrong with the OBD port on the car - I have used it with the EAS software and a specially made up lead.

I have searched the forum to find when OBD compliance was introduced by L/R for diesel p38's in the UK and I cannot find a definitive answer. Does anyone know for sure and has anyone got it to work?

The next question is if it is not OBD II compliant does anyone know what the protocol is that is used to communicate with the Bosch engine ECU ? The BMW engine was used in other cars around that era. Is there other BMW specific software out there that will work?

Dave
:)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi,

Hope that u found the answers, already.
However, as I know the diesel versions were not OBDII complient upto 2004.

I 'm also trying to read the BOSCH EDC data , still no luck.
I used BMW software, CARSOFT 6.5, which has all functions including DDE system. But when connected to P38 it gives only one answer, "MODULE IS NOT RESPONDING"

If u check the inside rangie diagnostic connector wiring diagram, u will see that diesel EDC system is connected in parallel with BECM, ABS & AIRBAG modules. I think due to that reason the software is unable to communicate with the EDC module.

This is more evident by the EAS software by our hero, Storey Wilson, works freely due to the fact that EAS module is connected to DTC as a seperate module. Hence accessabilit asured.

regds

kapila

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kapila,

Things have moved on since my last post. I now have a Faultmate MSV2 extreme.
I never did get the generic OBDii scanner to read the engine ECU. I figured that with it being Bosch/BMW the system might have been common with that used on other non L/R cars. Obviously not.
The Faultmate works well. I still have some unanswered questions though on the inner workings of the engine ECU.
I cannot find anyone who knows anything about the late type Bosch EDC ....... or willing to divulge the information.

Dave
:crybaby2:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi,
I've collected some info on BOSCH DDE system on the rangie .Mostly from BMW & OMEGA sites . They have lots of info . PM me I'll forward the articles.

For me faultmate is COSTLY. I've got the BMW CARSOFT 6.5 which has all required modules including DDE.But it' can't find the ECU since it's on a common bus with ABS,AIRBAG, HEVAC etc etc, as per sellers advice.

You have any idea how to disconnect those, I mean removing a fuse etc?

BTW , can I remove the ECU connector without disconnecting the battery?
There is a method check things like temp sensor, fuel controller etc thro seperate termnals of the connector.

regds

kapila

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Kapila I can't help regarding removing the fuses to isolate the engine ECU on the bus. Never heard of it being done.

I had a bad experience with my Bosch engine ECU a few years ago. A battery charger clip touched the metal case and blew it up. I would disconnect the battery first.

We all wait with baited breath to see what Storey Wilson will come up with. I think it unlikely he will write the software to include the Bosch EDC ....... or maybe not straight away. The diesel p38 was not sold in the USA.

Just a thought.....is it possible to make up a special lead to connect to the Bosch EDC off the car using a generic OBDii reader?
I will send you a PM.

Dave
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts