RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try using this one from Alex Peper:

http://www.obd-2.com/

I downloaded the software to check it out. It has Range Rover support and seems versatile, but I was wondering if anyone here had experience with it. I don't know where to source a usb to obd-2 cable for the connection, however they offer it for a mere $122.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so there's more to it. you have to pay to get an unlock code on the software and the cable is provided.

i'm working with it right now and it appears to see everything. the trans also. however, i'm having connectivity problems, it keeps timing out. what settings do you guys use for connecting to a P-38?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
123 Posts
I've been using this tool for more than 5 years for basic OBD-II scanning. Mostly because we need it for our '00 DII but I've used it on other European cars. Was never really able to get much info beyond the OBD-II stats and some transmission codes. I did use it only a few times on our '01 P38 but I didn't have that vehicle long and didn't get a chance to dig into the OBD stuff on it.

I have connectivity problems on new laptops with USB-Serial cables. So I typically use an old laptop that has a real DB9 serial connector. Alex has stated to me that the serial ports on his cables are sensitive to the type of USB-Serial adapter used. I've tried several, but have not yet tried/bought the one he recommends/sells.

Have a Faultmate setup on the way for our '00 DII and '06 RRS HSE. We'll see how they compare!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is your OBD-II program the same as the picture in this link?
I need to trouble shoot my door latch lock asy.,
I am unable to rsync new key. Dealer said it was door latch well i replace that ($225.00) and same problem,
I noticed that on this program there is a tab for inputs maybe I Trouble shoot the latch inputs
I have a feeling it mat be my BECM there are listings on ebay to get a replacement for $450.
I am hoping to avoid that.

hope you can help

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4900034118/

geflackt said:
I've been using this tool for more than 5 years for basic OBD-II scanning. Mostly because we need it for our '00 DII but I've used it on other European cars. Was never really able to get much info beyond the OBD-II stats and some transmission codes. I did use it only a few times on our '01 P38 but I didn't have that vehicle long and didn't get a chance to dig into the OBD stuff on it.

I have connectivity problems on new laptops with USB-Serial cables. So I typically use an old laptop that has a real DB9 serial connector. Alex has stated to me that the serial ports on his cables are sensitive to the type of USB-Serial adapter used. I've tried several, but have not yet tried/bought the one he recommends/sells.

Have a Faultmate setup on the way for our '00 DII and '06 RRS HSE. We'll see how they compare!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have used an elmscan 5 which interfaces with usb. You can read obd2 trouble codes, which do include transmission faults. Additionally, you can reset fuel trims, but other than that, the diagnostics are limited to standard obdii items like O2 sensors, and do not apply to HVAC, door outstation, SRS, etc modules...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought this and then had nothing but trouble trying to get it to work, the "back up" from Alex C Peper was non existant. My son - a computer programmer - had a go and managed to get it working but only used it once as a trial run and then it went AWOL again. On my new laptop running Win 7 Professional the OBD-2 will not run despite having done an upgrade from the OBD-2 site. In my experience it's been a total waste of time and money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts