RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I'd have to agree as long as the heater core is not the source of a leak. Then again how often do P38 cores fail. I really can only think of a handful in total on here.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I dont mind being the test mule, so to speak, this was an experiment after all.....
I do like the idea of not having any o rings though......just my .02.
Not to mention having a brand new heater core for $50 (well $38 was my price).
The heater core leaking was one of those things, and I doubt it has ever happened as much as cracked plastic heater core manifolds etc. If it can happen to Ron, it can happen to anyone IMO. :thumb:
Probably a bad solder joint is all. I doubt I could have gotten a new RR one by the next morning if it had happened to one of those.
If everyone else on here is happy with the stock heater core/o ring arrangement, so be it. For me and at least one other, this mod is worth it to not have any o rings, have a full metal heater core, and save a bloody fortune. :dance:
Guess I wont bother posting the pics up then :think:
Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
NikeCheck246 said:
sounds like a really big pain to avoid a couple of o-rings...don't know if i would be willing to do all that work. And if you ever decide to go back to "stock", are you not up the creek, so to speak?
Could go back to stock as easy as replacing the heater core mate....
Nothing has been cut or mangled to where the stock core couldn't be used. Hell even the mounting holes and clip are still there :thumb:
Only difference is the center rib has been trimmed back, which in no way affects the stock heater core.
Martin

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
Guess I wont bother posting the pics up then :think: Martin
BOOOOOOO :evil: Ugg, me wantum pickie thingies!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
rrtoadhall said:
leftlanetruckin said:
Guess I wont bother posting the pics up then :think: Martin
BOOOOOOO :evil: Ugg, me wantum pickie thingies!
Sorry Carl :lol:
Here ye go mate...
The lower hose from the heater core is a shaped heater hose that curves up and around the lower duct work.
[attachment=3:lsrryjoy]under-dash.jpg[/attachment:lsrryjoy]
[attachment=2:lsrryjoy]under-dash1.jpg[/attachment:lsrryjoy]
[attachment=1:lsrryjoy]under-dash2.jpg[/attachment:lsrryjoy]
[attachment=0:lsrryjoy]under-hood.jpg[/attachment:lsrryjoy]

Attachments

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Scotty told me, after talking to him, that it sounds harder than what it is....
I guess that is due to me describing every step. :lol:
The only "mod" that is needed is cutting the center rib inside the heater matrix, which took me @5 minutes :thumb:
Version 2 is letting the JB Weld set up now (for some added support to the pipes) and then it will be sliding into place. The parts store said they have never seen that before, so it sounds like I just got a bad part. This one has the pipes plugged, where the other one did not, same brand part... :think:
Hopefully will be updating this from a toasty and DRY Rangey shortly (need to take the laptop out there to reset the SRS fault anyways) :thumb:
Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Looks easier then it sounds :clap: :clap:
Martin thanks for leading the way...

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Job done.
The missus even took it for @20 minute test drive, and entered the stereo code incorrectly @10 times.... :lol:
Quick push of the "BND" button for 4 seconds and the correct code is now entered.
Up to yet everything is perfect. I will be going to St Louis today though (@250 m round trip), so that will be the true test I guess.
Heat is perfectly even both sides, coolant temp is staying right at the half way mark, and up to yet life it good.
I did put some JB Weld on the tubes though to give them some added support, although according to the parts guy this morning, sounds like I just got a bad core.
No more O rings for me, and an all metal heater core... :dance:
Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
For those interested, performed flawlessly for the 250 miles round trip. I guess it is done and finished with, forever :thumb:
O rings no more for this one rig...

Martin

·
Registered
206 Posts
Great mod Martin !

would you mind doing a step by step article on the main site for the slower of us ? :)

I've got a leaking heater core matrix, actually bypassed. In the Caribbean that's not a problem, but if someday I plan to return to Argentina with my Rangie, that needs to be addressed before the trip.

N.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That would be up to Carl etc to stick it there mate....
I also followed another members shortcut to getting to the heater core on a LHD model, which saved god knows how many hours! :thumb:
I could do a step by step though without issue. The dash is back together now, but I do have part numbers for the connectors and the heater hose I used that is shaped etc.
I think the JB Weld aroubnd the pipes will give it any additional support the new heater core needs.
As I said, for under $75USD I have a brand new heater core and heater hoses, so it works for me :dance:
Martin

·
Registered
269 Posts
Martin, not sure if you said or not, but how did you seal around the heater core? Like, seal the box so that air has to flow through the core and not around it. The original core's plastic end cap seals it and clips to the box.

Long and short, I see a gap...how did you close up the box?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just some weatherseal for now. I had to leave @1hr after I finished it to go to St Louis and pick the parents up, so had no time to fab a cover up. I will probably trace around the OEM cover and make one up in time with the plasma cutter, but for now its perfectly dry and operating without leaks.... :dance:

Martin

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

My RR is next, one more without the o rings thing leaking year after year... :wink:

Regards,

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
SERSAN said:
Hi,

My RR is next, one more without the o rings thing leaking year after year... :wink:

Regards,
I did mine last winter and i still have to do those. I guess i'll be the 3rd 8)

·
Registered
65 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
Audi heater core going in tomorrow.....Hopefully.
No O rings if it works out as planned (Thanks to my partner in "heater core" crime, Sersan.... :thumb: )

Martin
Which model Audi, may I ask?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Pretty much all the parts stores here in town could get it the next morning, so supply should not be a problem :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

It's done, the second RR without orings is on the road `)

the heater core in place:

The pipes:

Regards,

21 - 40 of 127 Posts