RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently become the new owner of a L322 TD6, and first things first, thanks to all you posters for making my choice an educated one. I read the forum quite extensively and found it a very valuable resource, as I'm sure I will in future. I hope to put something back by posting my own experiences.

I wanted a comfy/classy car with a big towing limit and not rediculous fuel consumption. I only do 5-8k km per year, so didn't want to spend a lot of money on the car. I'm reasonably technically competent so doing some of the maintenance myself is possible, and I know enough not to get ripped off should I need to go to a garage. It was only going to be a Range Rover. The Disco is too utilitarian and family oriented, the Defender too crude, and the Sport too bling.

I was going to wait for the price of the TDV8's to come down, but then found a TD6 for a reasonable price and with a refurbished transmission - which for me was a purchase criteria. It's a 2003 with 130k km's. Not perfect, but probably perfect enough for me.

Initial impressions - I thought it would be hilariously slow, but actually it's quite reasonable. Certainly fast enough to be useable. It is - enormous. Unbelievably huge close up. Fuel consumption also reasonable for such a large vehicle - between 9-10 litres per 100km.

I was concerned about what reactions I would get driving it, but here in Switzerland I've not had any looks of hatred - yet, or even looks of 'what a prat', which the drivers of some other 4*4's certainly deserve (X6 anyone?). A friend did suggest that I'm compensating for a small penis, but I pointed out that the Range Rover is replacing a small car. I couldn't have a large penis when I had the small car, and suddenly a small one when I bought the Range Rover, unless Mrs Bobbit had been involved - which she hasn't. Besides, most of the time I use my motorcycle, which is way smaller than almost any car.

By the way, speaking of looking like a prat, I really dislike these rediculous wheels some people fit. They ruin the ride and off road ability. It's just a fashion, and like most fashions people will look back wonder why they wore those rediculous and uncomfortable things. Please, if you want to do this to your car, do it to an X5 or Cayenne. And no, I don't think they look better - they look stupid, just like people who wear their trowsers half way down their posterior.

Anyway, rant over, and appologies if you've got big shiny wheels. You probably have enough to deal with what with the jiggly ride, not being able to maintain traction on a gentle grass bank and people pointing at you and calling you a prat.

So planned upgrades. Obviously the first is to the navigation system. The previous owner had stuck some other sat nav on the dash, so frustrated had he become with the crappy MKIII. I could upgrade to the MKIV system, which I had on my last car (a BMW), but this is also a little old these days, and the MP3 integration is very poor. I've done some searching on the site but not found many owners who've junked the SatNav for an aftermarket in-dash 'infotainment' system, but if anyone has some feedback on this - greatly appreciated. I don't fancy tearing the dash out though.

Combined with this (maybe), I'd like a camera so I can hitch up a trailer more easily. Not being a great reverser, I tend to man-handle the trailer onto the hitch, which is ok on a trailer weighing 1.3 tonnes, but not one which is 3.5 tonnes. The camera needs to show the tow hitch as I reverse, ideally on the sat-nav screen. The reverse camera's i've seen point rearwards, down the road, but i need it to look at the tow hitch. Alternatively a mirror of some kind?

Planned downgrades - it's got some box added that boosts power to 190bhp. It's probably contributed to the transmission needing replacing. You think I should remove it? I'd rather miss out on 13bhp and have a longer transmission life.

Problems I've got - the right rear light is misted up and the steering wheel goes in and out but not up and down. Oh, and my current trailer is way too small. I want one 4m * 2m and with a 3.5 tonne max weight. Anyone have one for sale (in Europe)?

Wil post a pic or two when I have some.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
If it's a PSI box, then remove it. You could be right about the last gearbox failing from the extra torque, especially if it is a box based system over a proper engine remap with smooth power delivery.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Drill a tiny hole (~0,2 mm) from the underside were the glass meets the plastic on your rear lamp and the mist problem is history. If you are careful you don't have to remove the lamp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rich998a said:
If it's a PSI box, then remove it. You could be right about the last gearbox failing from the extra torque, especially if it is a box based system over a proper engine remap with smooth power delivery.
Thanks Rich, I shall have a look and in all probability unplug it.

le25dse said:
Drill a tiny hole (~0,2 mm) from the underside were the glass meets the plastic on your rear lamp and the mist problem is history. If you are careful you don't have to remove the lamp.
Thanks le25dse, I shall do as said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts