RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 1996 Range Rover P38 HSE 4.6 with 135,000..had it for about 3 weeks..The problem is that recently started is when i am driving it the fuel light comes on and needle starts going up and down ( fuel is full), temp gauge light, lights up, brake light comes on and the tach needle moves up and down by itself...Also the EAS MANUAL is beeping but doesn't have suspension, old owner changed to coil, also on dash it says sun roof is open but its not plus it doesn't even works so..Can anybody tell me what the heck is going on

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
59 Posts
You have got some problems there i'm no expert by any means but all the funny stuff going on with the dash could be a ground (earth) problem , use the electrical trouble shooting sticky. The eas in manual alarm sounds like the previous owner hasn't bypassed it after converting to coils , there is plenty of info on here about it just do a search or somebody might chime in and point you in the right direction.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,218 Posts
I'll have to think about the other issues a bit more in the morning, but the EAS MANUAL message is normal for a vehicle with coil springs, and having had an override harness installed in it.

It does sound like it could be a grounding problem at the instrument cluster - so definitely worth checking all that out.

I'll post back again if I can come up with any other things to check.

Also can't hurt to remove the trim around the base of the RH seat and check to make sure all the connectors into the BECM are secure - as EAS MANUAL is usually generated by an override harness when the coil conversions are done

Hope this helps,
Marty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dash issue continues

I have a 1996 range rover p38 and on the dash it always reads "Slow to 25 mph"? why does it say this?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Re: dash issue continues

Hi- it's likely to indicate a hard fault in your EAS, which would drop you down to your bump stops to allow you a limp home mode of sorts. However, in your other post you say that the PO converted to coils so this points to the fact that the necessary wiring changes and bypasses to the old system weren't properly made. You do have other dash problems though and need to work through as per the responses to your other post.

R

·
0 Posts

might want to check the homepage of this site, at "upgrades" there is a piece about coil conversion. there you can find which positions on the connector of the EAS ECU you need to jump to get rid of the slow 25mph message (no need to get a harness for a lot of money for that.

for the rest of your issues, my guess would be a bad ground on either becm or cluster

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts

All suggestions above are excellent points. First off remove the bezel from around the cluster and check the multi-plug going to the front of the cluster. Look for corrosion on the pins maybe add some die-electric grease for starters, if this is not the issue then follow the suggestions above.

Good luck

Scotty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts