RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have seen my recent thread about loss of drive.
http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35113

Well it ends with me happy to be able to make an extended drive home to Somerset from Stratstones in Birmingham via South East London (to attend a funeral!). So approaching 400 miles, all of it towing my trailer with our Jimny on it and the Rangey didn't miss a beat.

Trouble is, that was Friday. Didn't use the car over the weekend, but needed to use it this morning. Started the car, reversed out of the car port, drove forward into a turning bay, put it back in reverse......but no drive again! AAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!

The turning bay has a log across the back so I cant be sure, but I think D (forward) still works. R feels like it tries to engage but then just spins (like the clutch is slipping, but no idea if the car actually has a clutch that could slip!). I obviously had to use a different car today, but when I got home I tried the Rangey again and its still stuck without reverse drive in the turning bay.

So what next? Stratstones said that the last breakdown was because the gearbox oil had leaked out. They replaced one of the pipes to the oil cooler and refilled with 6 units of oil. I now seem to have the same symptoms as before so I'm wondering if there is another leak and I've lost fluid again. (Although there's no readout this time on the dash). Alternatively, could the previous loss of oil have caused some sort of damage in the box?

My initial thoughts on my next moves are:
1: Buy a couple of units of gearbox oil....find out where the gearbox filler is and see if I can top it up (thus proving or not a continuing leak). OR
2: Drag the car out backwards using a rope around the towbar. If D (forward) still does work as suspected, drive the car towards my local dealer (40 miles) and be ready to call the RAC if it fails to make it.

Any other ideas??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yup confirmed that I do still have forward drive, but no reverse. Towed the car out backwards and was able to drive forward up hill no prob....just had to roll back down again! Now booked in to Matfords on 15th to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
You know you can bring it to a shop and they'll fix it for you right?

Find and independent or a dealer, it isn't going to fix itself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Brad I know. I've just not had a good experience with any of the LR dealers that I've been to (6 so far!) . If their Diagnostic readout tells them what to do, and it is right, then they are fine (if expensive). But if the computer says "no" or gets it wrong, then there's nobody it seems who knows what to do any more so they just tell me silly things. I've had very useful info from here and the UK forums that the dealer didn't seem to know about (eg the final stage resister fix for the climate control failure; the oil cooler/oil change fix for the sticking in gear problem; etc). So now I try to find out what I can first so that I might spot the BS when I hear it. eg If I'm told the gearbox is fubarred and that will be £4k+ I'll have the conversation with them about whether it might just be the F clutch and cant they fix that for a more reaonable charge.

Anyway as I said, its booked in to the dealer on the 15th. As you suggest, I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time for an update.

Took the car into Matfords today, managed to drive it there (40 miles) so drive OK just no reverse. Matfords surprised me twice.

First they said they'd taken a sample of gearbox fluid and it was both burnt and had particles of metal in it. Given that the oil has been replaced three times since last June, and the last lot is only 3 weeks old and had done just 400 miles I was surprised about the "burnt" smell if not the particles.

Anyway...as I feared their solution for me was to replace the gearbox. But the second surprise was the cost. Just 4 weeks ago Stratstones told me that the cost of a gearbox change would be ~£4500. Today, Matfords told me it would be just shy of £1900 fitted. Now I 've had lots of helpful advice on where else I might go to get a better deal on a new box if required, or to get mine restored...but most recommendations were costed at this level or higher so I have to say I'm feeling just at the moment that I may have had a bit of a let off? Of course the box hasn't been delivered yet, its not been fitted yet, I've not tested that the car works and I've not had the final bill....but I must say the signs are much better than expected.

How weird is that - to stare a £2000k+ bill in the face the week before Christmas and think I've got a result!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I suspect they want to fit you a factory refurbished unit which is an exchange item.

The prices for these are actually on the LR website somewhere (parts etc) and the remanufactured gearboxes are really quite reasonable - about £1400 from memory, the rest will be their labour charge.

Sounds like a great deal to me from Matfords :) :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats a great price Gazellio...tho Erith is a 4 to 5 hour drive from me. Its obviously cheaper at JTs, but I'm still impressed with Matford's deal on this given their main dealer status. Very useful info tho. :clap:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lummac said:
I would also replace the powerconverter

anyway a good result on the price

Is that also known as the torque converter? If so its included...but if its something different, it may not be. Anyway, picking it up tomorrow so hope everything that needs doing has been done!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked car up and it worked all the way home!

Final bill for an Oil Service and the refurbed gearbox was £2083. A result from an official dealer me thinks - thanks Matfords!

Lets hope it now keeps going for a few months - its obviously been tough on the wallet this last year or so but its also a complete pain in the A when the car breaks every few weeks, I've only had the use of mine for one day in the last 6 weeks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Something you want might to look into...

My RR got a new tranny at 40K miles (now has 90K) when it first went in because it was loosing gears (1st and 2nd), and also after it got a new tranny, it got reprogrammed with new ECU programming data...

which IMHO make me think there is some new programing LR is supplying for the torque values to be a little less stressful on the tranny?

any LR mechs out there wanna verify this???

·
Registered
293 Posts
the reason i bring this up is that if thats the case and you did NOT get your tranny replaced at a LR stealer, you probably didnt get the new ECU programing...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts