RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
The Toughbooks are awesome, however you might want to put some more ram in. 128mb with XP is hardly going to set the world on fire and I wont even mention the 300mhz processor.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This looks like one of the batch that were sold off in the US some few years ago.
They were from some communications company and had been tailored to suit. They have yellow painted lids which can easily be re painted.
I did some of mine in a fetching metallic Blue.
The antennea is not Wi Fi. it's some strange (to me at least :D ) packet data radio type and there is a sim card holder near the battery.
Word is that they had like 40K of these and their order virtually saved the Tough Book line, they bere being sold off only due to the company upgrading.
As cornishman says, Tough books are awsome. The touch screen in particular and the fact the screen is sort of protected with a plastic outer layer makes them work well as the base for diagnostic systems, which is why we also bought a few.

The DVD drive is a new one though, and i would have thought they might have struggled with DVD playback. because again as cornishman says, the 300mhz is a bit on the low side which although not so bad just for diagnostics, is a bit low for multi media stuff. And sure enough it was struggling on XP, so we use 2000 on them and they seem much happier with that.

The main advantage of the CF27 over its predecessor, the CF25, other than faster CPU and more RAM was definately the inclusion of a USB port which allows you to plug in anything to expand the system, eg CD, WI FI
The batteries also seem to stand the test of time, unlike many new ones which seem to have had it after a couple of years regardless of if you have used them or not, i charge one of these Li ion puppies up and it gives 2 or 3 hours no problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts