RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel door was getting flakey (intermittantly working/not)on my 95 RRC. One day, it just refused. Dug in to find the manual lever-there isn't one. I would guess that anyone finding this thread is having a problem. You will have to take off the subwoofer in back-7, 13MM bolts and a few wire clips. This exposes a plate that has phillip screw holding it on. Removing this, exposes the actuator that opens the door. You can manually move this to open your fuel door. Not quite as easy as pulling a lever, but there it is. In troubleshooting the problem, first verify that you A/C works, as the fuse for this actuator is on the same circuit, a 30 amp fuse in the engine compartment. If the a/c doesnt work, then check the fuse. If it does work, I would suggest the next step to be pulling the fuel door switch on the panel. You can easily get to this by lowering the panel just under the steering column that exposes the fuses. Once opened, it is easy to reach behind the switch and release it by pushing in the little spring clip and pushing the switch forward (toward you)out the front of the panel. Disconnect the wire harness and test the switch. Put a meter on the 1st, and 4th pins and push the switch. Try the 2nd and 5th too, in case my memory has this wrong. Anyway, the circuit should close w/ the switch pushed in, and open when released. Nothing happend in my case-bad switch. To test the actuator, (or temporarily bypass the switch)you can jump the 1st, and 4th pins on the wiring harness. This activates the relay that should open the actuator. The actuator can be tested by itself by pulling it out (after you remove that panel behind the subwoofer), and just putting a 12v supply up to it and seeing if it moves. If it just jumps, but doesn't open, then reverse the polarity and it should open right up. Until you get a switch, you can take the fuel door off. I called the dealer for my switch, and they informed me that land rover is no longer supplying the part to the US dealers. I found it on the web real cheap anyway, $5 plus shipping from the UK.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This issue has plagued my 95 LWB for some time. Its been intermittent so not a big deal until my wife was nearly stranded with an empty fuel tank and no way to put in gas.

The fuse was good and then I started looking at the switch. My neighbor pressed the switch while I looked at the actuator engage and disengage consistently while the the fuel door was open. Which made me now think it was something mechanical with the fuel door. Then we noticed that the fuel door spring had slid down. We pushed it back up into place and now it works perfectly.

So, be sure to inspect the spring too!

·
Registered
23 Posts
aviat, does the tip re reversing polarity to cure a "jumping" actuator also apply to door lock actuators? I have this problem on one of my doors, and I've tried everything else!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The jump I spoke of was in case you reversed the polarity-as it is no labeled in any way. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. The lock on your door can't easily be reversed by accident as it is on a plug that won't let you. If you lock is intermittantly not unlocking, but just moving a bit, I would think maybe to check if there is
mechanical resistance in the mechanism post actuator-that is hanging it up. jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts