RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am not certain, but I need help diagnosing what I originally thought to be blend motor failure before I attempt to hack open my dash.

This past winter I went without heat (temp stuck on cool) and after hitting a large bump in the road this past spring, I have gone through much of the summer with no a/c (temp stuck on heat). I thought the bump dislodged the blend motors somehow, whereby they then randomly engaged heat just in time for summer - my luck!

Anyway, my thinking went awry this week when I attempted to remove parts of a the dash and checked the wiring behind the HVAC control unit. I made sure all connections were in tight – they were – I then removed each plug, started the truck without the unit connected, and plugged each connection back in while the truck was on. Strangely the temp read -40 degrees and rose slowly to what I thought to be the actual temp, all while the following happened: the mild temp on the driver’s side and the heat on the passenger side slowly changed to warm on the driver’s side and to cool air on the passenger side.

What does this mean? I understand that failed blend motors may have room to continue to change temps – such that they may change same within their ability to turn their internal gearing up to the point where any teeth are broken, but why would what I have done result in a change of the passenger side temperature from heat to cool if I was not able to make this temp change prior to removing the control unit by simply using the controls (the blend motor seems to have the ability to turn its gears).

Any insight that anyone can share is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, JD.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Have you tried going from HI to LO on both sides of the set temperatures? Have you taken it out of "auto" mode and have you ensured the A/C off button is not lit?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
Have you checked the relays in the fuse box under the bonnet? Mine was doing something odd, kind of like you are describing and I changed the relays for the blowers and now it's fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts