RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I loved my 2006 RRS, which I have kept, but my new 2010 RRS has some issues.

First, within 24hrs, the hood was unlatched on one side and the "low coolant" light came on. After a day at the dealer, the hood is now fastened down but not as tight on the side that had the issue (the body panel gap is larger on that side than the other side).

Second, the "low coolant" light has come on again.

Third, the NAV unit does not quit flashing while moving (the blue triangle representing the car).

Fourth, on the old nav unit, when the voice started speaking, you could turn down the "voice" volume (in relation to the radio volume) and it would stay at that level. The new nav unit returns to the volume it was previously at.

Fifth, and most important, is the huge increase in wind noise (on the highway). Has anyone else noticed a difference? This SUV has a ton of wind noise. It sounds like the force of the wind hitting the wind screen.

Sixth, the sat radio can't be used to simply "push" in a new channel number without going through multiple steps.

I don't know, the interior and exterior are way superior to the older ones, but the increase in wind noise almost kills the deal. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Regarding the low coolant message, there is a SSM for it:

Models
LM - New Range Rover
LS - Range Rover Sport
LA - Discovery 4

Title Low Level Coolant Warning 10MY (5.0 Petrol + 3.0 Diesel)
Last Modified 21-SEP-2009 08:41
Category Engine
Symptom 402000 Cooling System Concerns
Content

Issue:
Reports have been received of the low level coolant warning message being displayed on 10MY vehicles.

Cause:
Under investigation.

Action:
If a vehicle is identified (10MY only) with the above stated concern, where there are no signs of coolant leakage and the coolant level is correct and a sensor/ float is suspected as root cause please replace the complete coolant tank assembly ensuring the coolant level sensor is not removed.

Please then submit an EPQR as a matter of urgency, a PRR will then be created for the tank assembly to be returned to Land Rover for investigation.
Some of us had the same problem on MY06s... :doh: The float would absorb coolant and sink causing the message to appear on the dash even though the coolant level was fine. Deja vu all over again.

Can't help you with the other issues. I was kind of wondering how long it would take for someone to complain about the ease of use - or lack thereof - of the new infotainment user interface, where almost everything is controlled via touchscreen as opposed to the old layout with tons of "unsightly" but more functional buttons and dated LCD on the center console. I guess we can't have it both ways. :? About the wind noise, perhaps your windshield is not completely sealed against the frame and lets some air in at highway speeds, generating wind noise? Land Rover hasn't changed much in that area of the car, so it's hard to believe wind noise would have increased from 06-09s to the new 2010s (early reviews from new owners claim the new car is actually quieter on the highway than the old one...) Considering you also seem to be having problems with the proper alignment of your hood, it's something I would be concerned about.

On my 2006, when a couple of plastic clips holding the A-pillar trim cover tight and flush against the windshield broke, my car sounded like a freight train on the freeway... All it took was replacing some $0.50 clips under the trim piece, and the wind noise disappeared.

PS: Turn off the Disco theme under User Preferences in the satnav setup screen to stop the flashing blue light on the monitor. j/k, but have you tried a reset and/or GPS recalibration under user settings of the GPS? Maybe it's the system telling you it needs recalibration? Just a guess.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Can only speak from my experience from a few test drives, but the 2010s seemed quieter than my '08 - you shouldn't have a lot of wind noise. Is yours one of the earlier cars? you can check build date by looking at the stickers on the shocks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would be concerned about the hood fit and noise. Don't know about now, but many years ago, I know the shipping company's had repair shops on the docks to fix problems which occurred during boat transport. I had a '71 triumph that kept going through half shaft universal joints. Finely found out that it was dropped from a crane when being removed from the ship. The frame was out of line
I also had a VW VRX that was in an accident while the dealer was driving it from a dealer in Virginia to Penna. Of course he fixed it before we took delivery and never said anything. That car had to have; left CV joint replaced 20,000 miles, left strut replaced 36,000 miles, front left fender clear coat crackled at 70,000 miles (VW said it was because too many car washes, only front fender ) ignition packs 85,000 miles.
I might have the car checked by a body shop to determine if this car has had some repair work done. especial rue since everyone says the new ones are quieter and my '07 is pretty quite above 75 mph. Tires may also make a difference. I'm running Pirelli's Scorpions which do get louder with age.

As for the touch screen doing everything. My wifes Merc has that and I don't like it as much as the '07 RRS. I like being able to change audio without the maps disappearing. However, her screen gives more info on the audio playing. Probably the split screen on the RR is the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umbertob Re: Not so thrilled with my new RRS

Thanks for the "low coolant" info. The dealer here in Los Angeles sales it is not even a true bulletin yet and was buried way down in the Land Rover computer system. They are replacing the tank today. As popular as RR is in LA, this is the very first one they have done due to this notice. Thanks again.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
The dealer is right - sort of - as so far this is a "Special Service Message" and not a full blown Tech Service Bulletin... As you can see by reading the content of the message, Land Rover itself doesn't have much of a clue (yet) of what is going on with these coolant tanks. :wink: When they do, and if the problem turns out to be extensive enough to warrant it, they might issue an official TSB, inclusive of VIN range, warranty info, etc. That's normally when dealers take notice. There is a scary long list of SSMs addressing all kinds of early electrical and mechanical problems with MY2010s - not a good sign, for sure - but no TSBs issued yet. Multiply that by the number of models and model years Land Rover dealers have to deal with and you can imagine how a half page message about a possible problem with a coolant tank may be overlooked by an understaffed service dept. That's what you pay me the big bucks for! :lol: On top of it, until a batch of faulty hardware is identified there is the risk the dealer may just be swapping a defective coolant tank with another defective one they have in stock, just like they did for a while when a very similar problem first surfaced back in late 2005.

Any progress with getting rid of the blinking blue arrow of death? I am starting to wonder if that may be a "feature" of the new satnav, as others have asked about it on different RRS/LR4 forums.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That would be annoying, a flashing light. I've seen the new Navs at dealers and they look more modern than the ones in the 09.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Range Rover's sure have a lot of problems. It boggles my mind that a car company like Honda can build a car where nothing ever breaks but companies like Land Rover can't even use a coolant resevoir correctly. Isn't he same engineering knowledge available to anyone? Now, cue a poster talking about how he's had 4 range's and never had a single service issue.

Honestly, this is the biggest reason I haven't pulled a trigger on a RRS, I can't take constant hassles with car repair.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
thedeuce said:
Honestly, this is the biggest reason I haven't pulled a trigger on a RRS, I can't take constant hassles with car repair.
Yep, probably not the right car for you. You're an Accord or Camry type of person. Nothing wrong with that.
*snicker*

·
Registered
132 Posts
umbertob said:
...There is a scary long list of SSMs addressing all kinds of early electrical and mechanical problems with MY2010s - not a good sign, for sure - but no TSBs issued yet....
anything beyond the 'normal' stuff -- like major mechanical or electrical issues?
going to be taking the plunge on a second RRS supercharged -- Bali Blue or Nava Bronze
my 06 has been beyond reliable -- only been in for normal service... here's hoping i have the same luck with the 2010, and not have to pay back my good karma i had with my 06

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
avus said:
[
anything beyond the 'normal' stuff -- like major mechanical or electrical issues?
Nah, so far it's just a bunch of stupid crap - mostly electrical of software related - that they should have caught before launch but this is Land Rover, so... Nothing major and early adopters will probably be the only ones suffering through these issues as they are corrected. Here is an abbreviated, partial list of SSM titles applicable to 2010s, to give you an idea:

- 10MY SDARS Plays Weather Station Audio Upon Ignition On - Folder: Electrical
- RR Sport & Discovery 4/LR4 2010 New Module configuration - Folder: Diagnostic Software/Hardware
- 10MY Analogue clock will not set to correct time - Folder: Electrical
- IDS - 2010 Troubleshooting Issues with Automatic Updates - Folder: Diagnostic Software/Hardware
- 10my Range Rover Sport vehicles fitted with ARC - Folder: Diagnostic Software/Hardware
- Audio System Partially Inoperative 10MY - Folder: Electrical
- 10MY entry/exit feature does not operate correctly - Folder: Electrical
- Failure to program Audio Amplifier Module 2010 - Folder: Diagnostic Software/Hardware
- Low Level Coolant Warning 10MY (5.0 Petrol + 3.0 Diesel) - Folder: Engine
- RRS, Discovery 3/4, LR3/4 & Freelander 2/LR2 Limited `Seat Rock` - Folder: Body
- Speed restriction still enabled after PDI on 10MY Range Rover. - Folder: Electrical
- Software Manager manual download error message - Folder: Diagnostic Software/Hardware
- 10MY Tow assist activation - Folder: Electrical
- Discovery 4/LR4 & RRS Seat Memory buttons Inadvertently pressed - Folder: Body
- 10MY Instrument Dimmer Switch Operation - Folder: Electrical

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mercedes went through this when they started putting all the computer run electronics in their cars. The E class in 03 was an absolute disaster, The radio wouldn't work half the time. Having said that I don't know but I might wait a year so Land Rover gets all the kinks out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah , I 'm suffering from one of those annoying crap issues- my Temperature display resets to Centigrade upon switching the car off: Dealers had it for 8 days so far and tells me that Mahwah/UK is trying to figure it out.

I was surprised and disappointed on the quoted cost of an oil change -$350.00 ! (1200 miles driven - thought I'd get one in early after the running in period of 800 miles as they had the car sitting there). I thought my Lotus Elise (RIP)was bad at $250.00 . Thank goodness the RRS interval is 15k but honestly that seems to be excessive.

Santorini Black RRS HSE MY10

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Maxdabrit said:
I was surprised and disappointed on the quoted cost of an oil change -$350.00 ! (1200 miles driven - thought I'd get one in early after the running in period of 800 miles as they had the car sitting there). I thought my Lotus Elise (RIP)was bad at $250.00 . Thank goodness the RRS interval is 15k but honestly that seems to be excessive.

Santorini Black RRS HSE MY10
Congrats and welcome. $350 for an oil change, that's not even funny. I hope you told them to kiss your you-know-what, there are tons of independents that can probably do it for 50 bucks. My understanding is that, unlike early reports to the contrary, the new 5-liter engine does have a drain plug for the oil pan (you have to remove the undershield to get to it, like in 06-09s), so once you figure out the electronic oil level gauge that replaces the dipstick, you could actually do it yourself. Get the freebie service at 1-year/15K miles and steer clear of the dealer for any non-warranty work otherwise, they are a ripoff and apparently getting worse... :(

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Here is the "$350" step-by-step oil change procedure (the shop manual illustrates both vacuum draining and traditional draining / filling procedures, but I'm assuming you don't have an oil vacuuming tool in your garage, so the traditional method is illustrated...) The engine takes 8 liters of 5W20 and the engine undershield drops after removing 10 bolts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
New math. $10 dipstick = $500 failure prone electronic oil sensor+ display :crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Yeah... particularly with the offroad wizardry, I too feel the truck has become too complex for it's own good. Perhaps I too need a 4banger import sedan. :think:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
Drevs said:
Yeah... particularly with the offroad wizardry, I too feel the truck has become too complex for it's own good. Perhaps I too need a 4banger import sedan. :think:
Exactly what I'm looking at these days to add to the driveway.

Been to test drive a few times the Audi A4 S line 6 speed manual version, not a bad vehicle all in all, decently peppy, handles pretty well, (obviously not as fast or nimble as the Porsche), and may help to save some miles on the Rover for around town commutes and such. I like the looks of the A5/S5, but can't really justify another 2 seater...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts