RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!! I've got a 97 4.6 and it started to pause before engaging into reverse and drive occasionally a couple of weeks ago. Now, it does nothing no matter what I shift into, have a transfer neutral alert on my panel and when I put it back into park, it makes a whine/grind sound. I do have an oil drip which has coated an actuator and maybe fouled it up. Not sure where start. Any suggestions or wisdom to offer out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would clean the area of oil, then check the fluid level in the auto box and the transfer box (hopeing thats all thats needed). If all fluid levels are ok then I think you may have an expensive problem :(
SID.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I might be wrong. I am just throwing this out there :). I think maybe the gear selector's electronics might be messed up, or the transfer case selector is stuck in neutral (or 1/4 of the way in neutral, which might explain the grinding noise). The transfer case is put into high and low range by an electric motor instead of manually. The electronic motor could simply be non operational and the transfer case could have slowly slipped out of HI.... maybe lol. Try to shift it from HI to LO through the H-gate and see what the rover does (Going from HI to LO and then HI again might actually fix the problem :D ). I could be way off base and don not know enough on the subject to give a definitive answer, but I figured I would at least give my 2 cents worth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts