RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, newbs here...

Been online searching threads and asking a number of people about the normal operating temperature for a 2002 4.6 P38. I’ve got a ultragauge hooked to my OBDII port and have been getting readings in the range of 199 to 212. Usually 199 cruising on an open freeway, and 210-12 sitting in traffic or climbing up the mountains. Reading online, most say 200 to 205. But talking to people, it’s as low as 185 on the freeways.

What is the normal operating temperature for a 2002 4.6 Range Rover P38? If mines normal, cool! If not, it might be time to get my hands dirty...again.

Y’all on the forums have been helpful for a long time, thanks again!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
I must admit, I have never taken readings. a few yrs ago before my ownership the front end was severely damaged by a deer, thus along with new body work my 00 p38 received radiator, oil coolers, all hoses water pump thermostat, fan a clutch, a/c condenser and fans etc.

I have never seen the gauge any higher than just below the 1/2 way mark even in northern virginia summer traffic with a/c on.
If I do recall correctly according to rave the 03/04 discovery 2, 4.6 with SAI which matches the p38, had an acceptable normal temp range of up to 220 degrees F.
I would say in california heat possible with a/c on, you're running with in the specs of normal temp.
thermostat specs at 190 deg F opening, thus you will have difficulty seeing anything below 190 deg running.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
The temperature gauge is rather vague after 96.
It stays in the middle between 85°c and 107°C.

Normal imho is between 90 and 98 in a moderate to subtropical climate. In a truly tropical climate like here up to 50m of altitude expect it to go up to 102 when climbing.

We always go up the same 12 km climb from 35m to 800m after doing head gaskets, radiators or similar jobs to test the cooling system.
Hence these values are based on many test drives with different p38s and Discoveries with 4.0 or 4.6 e engines.

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the late response. Thanks for the advise. If it ain't broke why fix it? I won't do anything for now, i'll continue to track its temperatures.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hav a 98 RR 4.0 and I have checked my temp through the OBDII port several times. Since I had to replace the radiator, two water pumps and three thermostats in the last 2 years.

But 2 years ago when everything was going great my temp was reading 172F degrees. I got the tool to check the codes when I had to replace both oxygen sensors three years ago.

But 172 was the normal temp then.

Not sure for th 4.6

·
Registered
99 Posts
A standard thermostat opens at around 180f or 82c, so I'd say 172f is on the low side.

My guess would be slightly over the thermostat opening temp. I've just replaced the thermostat on mine and seem to be operating 90-95c or 194-203f.

That said, I would think a reasonable range would be 95c +/- 10c or 185-221f. That's just a rough estimate based on the numbers above and the boiling point of coolant under pressure.

To answer your question, 199-212 sounds perfectly normal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts