RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the dreaded "normal height only" message 3 months ago.

I guess it's getting better.... Went from getting the alert every time, to once a day, to once every few days, to now about once a week.

Live in a small college town so couldn't take it anywhere or try it myself (honestly don't even think I have a screw driver here lol). Will be going back home for Thanksgiving and there's a pretty good independent LR shop I made an appointment with.

From what I searched the problems caused by:
(1) something easy - low battery volts, hose leak, clearing codes
(2) something medium - drier, relay, delivery valve
(3) something big - entire compressor replacement

Anyone know what the issue is commonly?
Independent LR shop will fix (1) and (3). They aren't willing to replace just the drier/relay. Is it usually the drier/relay or the entire compressor?

Independent LR quoted entire compressor replacement at $800-$1000, but I don't plan on keeping the car too much longer, maybe till May/June. If it's the entire compressor can it be ignored or should I really address it? Quoted price seems like the new replacement compressor (shop did mention updating software), if it is the entire compressor, should I just opt for a cheaper aftermarket compressor since I don't plan on keeping the car? Any brands or recommendations?

2010 Sport, HSE, 90k miles, second owner (from 60k) from the knowledge it's never been replaced.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Got the dreaded "normal height only" message 3 months ago.

I guess it's getting better.... Went from getting the alert every time, to once a day, to once every few days, to now about once a week.

Live in a small college town so couldn't take it anywhere or try it myself (honestly don't even think I have a screw driver here lol). Will be going back home for Thanksgiving and there's a pretty good independent LR shop I made an appointment with.

From what I searched the problems caused by:
(1) something easy - low battery volts, hose leak, clearing codes
(2) something medium - drier, relay, delivery valve
(3) something big - entire compressor replacement

Anyone know what the issue is commonly?
Independent LR shop will fix (1) and (3). They aren't willing to replace just the drier/relay. Is it usually the drier/relay or the entire compressor?

Independent LR quoted entire compressor replacement at $800-$1000, but I don't plan on keeping the car too much longer, maybe till May/June. If it's the entire compressor can it be ignored or should I really address it? Quoted price seems like the new replacement compressor (shop did mention updating software), if it is the entire compressor, should I just opt for a cheaper aftermarket compressor since I don't plan on keeping the car? Any brands or recommendations?

2010 Sport, HSE, 90k miles, second owner (from 60k) from the knowledge it's never been replaced.
You said it in the thread title - air compressor or dryer?

Answer: Your mechanic will say it’s the compressor, when it’s really just the dryer. But he’s got this unwritten policy where he doesn’t like to raise your vehicle for less than a grand so... he likes to start with the more expensive or more encompassing part / system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Rebuild kit is around $100 - and it is fairly easy diy ... no lift needed - but yes you need a screwdriver and a few other simple tools! . In my case, drier was not issue - but rather crack in plastic end cap where air lines fit - this is also a common issue. Make sure repair kit had billet aluminum end cap ....
Yes, it will run for a few months like this - but eventually not enough pressure to the reservoir will be possible - and you will get more warning codes etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts