RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the normal heat operation would be in the Range Rover sport with Auto selected. Last month when the weather was in the 50s, my heat kicked on and it seemed to be blowing from the dash vents. The last two days it's been in the 30s and I notice quite a bit of blowing noise up towards the front window vent before the water temp warms up. After the water temp warms up, the hot air is blowing out of the front window vents. Is there any rhyme or reason as to which vents the Auto climate selects? Another weird thing I noticed is that when I hit the button to activate the dash vents, both the front and rear window defrosts came on.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone else's front and rear defrost turn on automatically when you start your Rover and the external temp is below a certain point?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Yep. They come on when the rover feels it should. My rear pretty much stays on constant and windscreen is more occasional.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
135 Posts
Mine runs the defroster every morning until the engine temp comes up. Moving air over the window probably helps prevent it from fogging up until the heat can kick in. Pretty smart system.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Perhaps a stupid question, perhaps twice as stupid since I do not know the heater functions in a '13 RRS, but on the '06 there is a "defrost program"?? button just above the windshield button that apparently maximizes or automates the defrosting function.

Is it possible you have this button on?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps a stupid question, perhaps twice as stupid since I do not know the heater functions in a '13 RRS, but on the '06 there is a "defrost program"?? button just above the windshield button that apparently maximizes or automates the defrosting function.

Is it possible you have this button on?
Not a stupid question at all, but I don't have that button on. I find it strange that the front and rear window defrosters turn on automatically when they're not even needed. I can sort of understand the air defrost blowing on the front window before the truck reaches temp as mentioned above, but even that is annoying due to cold air blowing around an already cold interior.

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Sport Red Limitied Edition
27 Posts
Something seems a little wrong there. I have a 2013 RRS SC and the electric heated windshield and rear turn on when the temp outside is cold, real cold, near freezing in fact. They stay on for as long as they need to. I have never had to turn them on myself.
In Auto mode, the HVAC system should not be blowing hard on a cold start up at all.
The fan should speed up as the engine temp rises.
I park mine in my garage up here where its cold 6 months of the year.
I'll have to watch the system tomorrow in AUTO mode and report back.
My garage is always just above freezing. If it gets colder than that my unit heater kicks in.
I actually don't use AUTO that much because I like control of where my heat goes.
My legs get very cold so I always have my air blowing on my feet when its cold out.
I start the RR and turn the fan to the first notch and turn on my seats and steering wheel heater.
While I drive, I slowly turn up the fan speed until Its where I am getting the right heat with the right airflow.
I guess I am the AUTO system myself.
I hate loud blower motors and I think Range Rover Failed terribly with this one.
For the price we pay, this system should be whisper quiet. Poor poor design.
I sell fans for a living, so this is a major negative for me. Others won't know the difference
I find if I close the two middle center vents, then the fan noise is less in the cabin.
I'll report my findings on full auto on my unit.
Thanks
Trev

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Sport Red Limitied Edition
27 Posts
Ok, so I found a few things.
The front heated windshield and the rear both come on automatically just above freezing, for me that is 2 deg C.
The front goes off after a little time, but the rear stays on, even though It isn't needed, so I just click it off to help out my 13 mpg....lol.
The HVAC system on auto, and set at 28 deg C, starts off on the lowest fan setting and seems to direct the air to the defrost position.
A very short time later as my SC V8 warms up, it does so fast, the system converts air to floor and defrost and speeds up to next fan setting.
A little while later the fan increases in speed but still keeps the dual air outlet setting.
Never does it go fully to the floor like I think it should at such a high heat setting.
This is why I operate the system manually to my liking. I acutally like the old warm cold dials so I could blend the right temp myself like in my daughters Neon.
Hope this helps.
Just to make sure you understand, my 2013 RRS SC V8 does not blow hard to defrost when the engine is cold as you describe.
Trev

·
Registered
841 Posts
The front heated windshield and the rear both come on automatically just above freezing, for me that is 2 deg C.
The front goes off after a little time, but the rear stays on, even though It isn't needed, so I just click it off to help out my 13 mpg....lol.
Do the switches light up to tell you that these functions are on?
On my 09, I have to turn them on manually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts