RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a week long trip to find my car had sunk down almost to the bump stops (not sure if all the way). Is this typical for only a week of sitting? I don’t recall my LR4 sinking that dramatically when leaving for a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You got a leak somewhere. If the all 4 corners sank, it's probably a problem with the valve block. If only one corner sank, you've got a problem with that particular air spring.

·
Registered
112 Posts
no i have left for more than a month and never has had it sunk

could be a battery too, all 4 corners sounds like a valve block or battery issue

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ughh..that's what I was worried about. I'm still under factory warranty until November, but I've had this in the shop 3 times in the last two months to sort out suspension issues. Really dreading having to take it back in for this b/c I know they'll keep it for weeks – they'll let it sit for a week to see what happens, then who knows how long while they troubleshoot a fix. Almost tempted to just test or replace the valve block myself if it's not hard / expensive. Anyone know what the process is?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Without knowing where the leak is coming from, you are just throwing parts and time at it. But, used valve blocks are cheap and dont look particularly hard to swap out. On my old RR if one corner sank, the sensors would lower another corner to compensate. The L405 is probably similar.

But no, it should hold its air for a week and beyond. If its battery related, you would have other issues I believe. Get some bubble maker soap from the toy store and dilute it in a spray bottle, you might get lucky.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I'll start with some soapy water to see if I can spot anything on the valve block...just need to know where to find it! :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decided to try and diagnose the issue myself before taking to the dealer. Using my Gap IIDtool, I monitored the live values for suspension height last night after normal use, then compared to this morning before cranking. The tool did report that the front had dropped by about an inch.

Can anyone offer some advice on which live values (or what process) I should follow and monitor over the next several days to help isolate which portion of the system might be leaking? For instance, i noticed that the gallery pressure starts out very high when I begin a ride (~200psi I think) but then drops sharply after several minutes and holds steady around 18psi..no idea if that’s normal. Compressor temp drops accordingly which I assume means the system is holding pressure relatively well while driving, so the compressor isn’t having to work very hard.

Bottom line: i know enough about the system to get myself in trouble, but don’t know the specifics of what to monitor to isolate the long term sinking. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My L405 MY18 similarly drops around 1inch at the front overnight. Sitting for a week or longer it also drops to 'access mode' height most times. For some reason it'll drop sooner if I'm off road having driving on corrugations (don't understand why). I've asked LR to check for leaks on two occasions as, when compared to my previous car (L322), I thought there must be leak. The LR service foreman assured me on more than one occasion that this is normal for the L405. It's apparently designed to do this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine drops at the back 15 seconds after I switch off the engine and it will raise every single time I start it. MY16

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
If it is anything like the l322... and I assume it is given my l405 also seems to do this. It'll wake up at some predetermined time while it is sitting and attempt to auto level (hours). If you're on uneven surface it'll drop corners to compensate. If it is sitting for extended periods of time, exposed to variable temps, it'll keep compensating until it reaches bump stops. I am very familiar with this given my garage is pitched for drainage. If you're on a level surface it shouldn't drop at all overnight unless there is a problem. Extended periods it is normal for it to drop a bit and then compensate which given a long enough window, will make it to bump stops. It compensates only by lowering, never by inflating.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Brad, I have had a 2016, now a 2013 and 2014 Autobiography and none of them ever drop below normal height nor have they auto leveled with the ignition off. I think there is a leak and if your dealer can't diagnose a great Indy shop would be happy too. Leveling for hours would drain the battery...

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Brad, I have had a 2016, now a 2013 and 2014 Autobiography and none of them ever drop below normal height nor have they auto leveled with the ignition off. I think there is a leak and if your dealer can't diagnose a great Indy shop would be happy too. Leveling for hours would drain the battery...
Yours probably don't level because they're parked on a level surface. Mine does not have a leak, this is just how the system operates. If it did have a leak they're not difficult to track, they're generally a hissing mess... 120ish PSI leaving the system isn't quiet unless it is intermittent which would point to a valve block fault or bellow leak that seals itself depending on current ride height.

Description of the function.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts