RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from a BMW E39 enthusiast. Sort-of a cousin, right?

I've been scheming about building a 540iT/6, IE swapping a getrag 6-speed into a wagon, as that combo was never offered in the US. I've done plenty of research there, to the point where I'm sure I could do it. But, I keep coming back to the fact that I need a real tow vehicle, and I'm too snobified (thanks, E39) to live with a 'yota or the like. The offroad ability would be swell too.

If some of these range rovers have a M62 or M62TU bmw motor, then the getrag should bolt up. I know that reverse lights would be a DIY, which isn't too difficult, and the cluster would probably always bark at me, telling me that the auto tranny (long since disconnected) isn't working properly.

Does anyone know if this swap has been done? If not, would the Getrag physically fit, and what would that do to the transfer case?

Any other creative options out there for someone who will simply never be happy with a slushbox? :snooty:

Pardon the extreme noobness here. I did search, and found nothing, which is a pretty big clue... Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
I'm sure someone understood the meaning of the post above and will translate it to us humans...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
translation?

Given that this generation of range rovers were never offered with a manual transmission, would retrofitting one be:

a) **** near impossible, or
b) just plain impossible?

If a), then could someone point a noob in the right direction?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You tell me? wasn't it the 02-05 model years that had the BMW motors?

I haven't bought anything yet, but am willing to pick the right truck and DIY. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
In the US 03-04... some 05's

This doesn't seem like a good idea to me, you could probably get it working, but the trucks computer will have a fit... You'd be better off just leaving the auto in there.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Not sure why you would ever want to do this other than as a science project. I could see some merit in putting the 6 speed in the wagon as it can be driven in a sporting fashion. The MkIII is not a sports car and there would be little satisfaction in shifting gears. And it would be completely unsellable when you're done with it.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
I'd have to agree with that. A diesel manual could be fun for sheer torque value. I guess the easiest conversion would be a simple "radiator cap jack". :lol: THat might also require a new "710" cap depending on the donor rig.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
I'd have to agree with that. A diesel manual could be fun for sheer torque value. I guess the easiest conversion would be a simple "radiator cap jack". :lol: THat might also require a new "710" cap depending on the donor rig.
WTF :?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Gazellio said:
rrtoadhall said:
WTF :?
You've never heard of a 710 cap or a radiator cap jack? :shock: For rigs beyond repair or restoration you use a radiator cap jack. Raise the radiator cap and put a new vehicle under it. Lower the radiator cap and tighten. That joke has been around since the early 60's that I know of.

A blonde pull into a shop with smoke billowing from under the hood. The shop foreman pops the hood and immediately tells her she needs a new 710 cap.

Write 710 on a piece of paper and rotate 180 degrees... you'll get it.

**** I feel really old this morning if I have to explain thesse ones. :roll:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
getrag = manual gearbox?
slushbox = automatic gearbox?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Apart from replicating the necessary transmission ECU signals somehow, surely the biggest challenge is going to be mating up to the transfer case? Producing the same mating face at the same dimension from RFOB (the autos are over 700mm long) with the same spline.......now that's going to be difficult. Unlike the P38 the L322 was never designed for a manual 'box so the relative positions of the transmission tunnel (which won't have an opening anyway) and the gear lever may be all wrong. Anyway, good luck!

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Personally, I like the idea... On d-90.com, a guy put a 300TDI, with a 5speed in a Disco 2, and they did not come that way, but he got it to work. Adapters can be made to mate any transmission with any transfercase, there are plenty of companies that make them. I would research the best motor and transmission for what you are looking to do and go that route even if it is not Rover or BMW.

·
Registered
293 Posts
if it was done with a disco then that would be P38 parts, the 03 and 04 discos were still the bosch 4.6/4.0 V8. so maybe try to do it with a worn out old P38... with a coil conversion... hehe jk about the coil conversion i just like to rile everybody up...

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
woldd90 said:
On d-90.com, a guy put a 300TDI, with a 5speed in a Disco 2, and they did not come that way...
:think: Interesting. I have a 1973 Rangie in my drive with a 300Tdi with 5 speed from a Disco... :geek:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gents.

Simple answer, buy a base model "S" spec' LR3/4 with the Petrol or Diesel donk and the optional 6 speed manual transmission ?

These were available ex. stock from 2005 onwards on all Discovery 3 models in foreign markets with the Ford 4.0 or 2.7 TD V6 !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts