RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized I posted this in the MKIII forum :oops: . Well, let's try this again:

Hello everyone. I just got a 98 Range Rover HSE this week and I really like it so far. I'm completely new to Range Rovers, and Land Rover in general. I found this site from searching on google and there is so much information its making my head spin. I have been told that the 98 is a GEMS engine (or computer system?) and that this is better because there are less problems than the Bosch engine. Also, my Rover was converted to springs, so I don't need to worry about EAS. I'm kinda worried that it is going to leave me stranded from all of the stories I've read, but so far so good. Thanks in advance for advice.

Joe

·
Registered
453 Posts
welcome Joe,
Fill in your profile so that others can see where your from and which spec p38 you have

Enjoy and share the knowledge

·
Registered
867 Posts
1. He has a 98 4.6 HSE
You are right, it is a GEMS Lucas Rover
2. Actually, Joe, you aren't correct. Usually the GEMS Lucas Rovers are less reliable, but cheaper to fix/maintain. The Bosch Rovers don't break quite as often, but when they do are more to fix.
3. We need pictures. It's a requirement to join the forums, or else we will kick you off (ok,, maybe not, but we all like to see what everyone is driving `)
4. If it doesn't leave you stranded, then you aren't driving it. Don't let this be your only vehicle. That's why I have 3 total Range Rovers, and a Lexus LX470 as well.
5. Congrats on the coil converted truck. Mine has a new air suspension, but if I still own it when all the bags fail, I'll probably do the same. Hear the ride on the coils is a little harsher though.
6. Put a location in your profile.

Welcome! Enjoy being broke like the rest of us.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Roverrad95 said:
2. Actually, Joe, you aren't correct. Usually the GEMS Lucas Rovers are less reliable, but cheaper to fix/maintain. The Bosch Rovers don't break quite as often, but when they do are more to fix.
Not sure I agree with this in terms of the Bosch costing more to fix. I have had a GEMs and now have a Bosch. The vast majority of mechanical components are the same on both, where they differ is in the engine electronics and these are almost always more expensive on the GEMs eg coil pack £300 vs £110 for Bosch, MAF £800 vs £150. Obviously this is for the UK and it may be different in the US.

ps welcome to the forum Joe

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Welcome Joe..

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Welcome aboard.
These things can cost no matter whether its Bosch or Gems, so dont worry about that :lol:
I can honestly say that ours has never let us down in 40k miles, now has 194k on the clock.

Martin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome. I updated my location and sig, and I'll post pics soon. I have a Toyota Corolla as my daily and this is going to be my truck to have around the house, road trips with a camper, and hopefully some offroading.

·
Registered
59 Posts
welcome to the forum Roverjoe,
I have a 98 4.6 HSE for 5 yrs so far, never been stranded, but I always do preventive maintainance :thumb:
But yes, parts wise it is expensive :shock: , but one thing that everbody on this forum knows, is that whenever you own a RR, you will always want a RR, even if it drains your pockets out! :lol:
welcome!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hey Joe, congrats on your purchase. I have an 04 Santa Fe as my daily driver, always good to have a backup... You'll find that many of the older P38s tend to have been neglected, but are not very hard to get back in tip top condition. I've found the GEMS system to be a bit more reliable in terms of major components. Basically what I'm saying is, OMG my cruise control went out, but at least my block isn't cracked ;) lol j/k. BOSCH and GEMS are almost equal, but have their little "differences". A rover is a rover, watch your fluids, keep them clean, and enjoy! Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum! What part of Mass are you in? I'm up north in Salem and have a '98 4.0 with EAS. I know my way around them pretty well if you need any help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jnance50 said:
Hey, welcome to the forum! What part of Mass are you in? I'm up north in Salem and have a '98 4.0 with EAS. I know my way around them pretty well if you need any help!
I just moved up here 2 months ago. I'm in Fall River right now, but next week I'm closing on a house and I'm moving to Plymouth. Getting the Rover was because I'm getting a house.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's not too bad of a drive - let me know if you need any help OR ya know, if you want to come help replace the airbags and waterpump on mine anytime soon `)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts