RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience w/ non-OEM roof rail solutions (and if so, which ones)? Seems the parts for these on a 2011 RRS is over $900 now days. Many of the universal factory kits are in the $300 range. The OEM part price feels excessive but I'd also hate to put on something that is fairly permanent that wasn't very good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone have experience w/ non-OEM roof rail solutions (and if so, which ones)? Seems the parts for these on a 2011 RRS is over $900 now days. Many of the universal factory kits are in the $300 range. The OEM part price feels excessive but I'd also hate to put on something that is fairly permanent that wasn't very good.
I bought a Rhino Rack[ Australian] from Racks Unlimited in Calgary. It was $400.00 CAN. had it installed for $20.00 money well spent. as it took two techs 1.5 hrs. It is a three-bar system. The website that was demoing it only used two bars.I was thinking about getting a roof tent but now use it for transporting our tandem kayak. Google roof rack for L322 .I hope this helps.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I looked at the cheap (China) options lately and there is a lot of confusion and misinformation. The Range Rover and Range Rover Sport racks are NOT the same and there is plenty of reports/reviews of people complaining this don't fit, but really they unknowingly bought a sports rack for a full size RR. Many vendors claim a rack to fit the RR while in fact they are selling a RRS rack. Most vendors don't have clue as they are just emptying their last container load from China.

The Sports rack seems to be plenty full whereas the full size RR rack is pretty much unavailable now.

Alternatives to the cheap racks are EXPENSIVE.

In the end I gave up and put my rooftop tent on our LR4 (which comes with roof rails and bars and even - shocker - has the towing electrics fitted standard!). In many ways the LR4 is such a better car, but we like our L322 for having more character (read unexpected surprises). The LR4 is also such a mom-mobil.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the pro rack roof bars, noisy things, should have gone with the more expensive option. I just filled the gaps with expanding foam with a layer of epoxy in hopes of reducing the whistling noise, might attach some half-round dowel to the forward edge as well to mimic some aerodynamic ability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a Rhino Rack[ Australian] from Racks Unlimited in Calgary. It was $400.00 CAN. had it installed for $20.00 money well spent. as it took two techs 1.5 hrs. It is a three-bar system. The website that was demoing it only used two bars.I was thinking about getting a roof tent but now use it for transporting our tandem kayak. Google roof rack for L322 .I hope this helps.
Would you happen to have a part number for that? I'm not having a lot of luck finding racks with info on what vehicles they fit or a lot that fit a generation (10 years) old vehicle.

How is the wind noise on that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@JS5D and @ColinP - Thanks for the comments. I definitely don't want a bad fitting or noisy roof rack either. If there aren't good options, I will bite the bullet and get the $900 priced one straight from Land Rover because it looks nice and I hear it is quiet if you take the crossbeams off.

My searches definitely so far haven't yielded any good options to the OEM rack.

Still kinda bummed that a vehicle as expensive and capable as a RRS didn't come with this in the first place (or a tow hitch and wiring that was nearly identical to the factory wiring which I also paid out the ass for).

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
381 Posts
FrontRunner Outfitters have rails and platforms - I'm sure something could be fitted, but it won't be cheap. Rhinorack not only make crossbars, but also brackets which will allow a platform to be fitted, also not cheap. But both systems are top notch, and speaking personally, top notch is the way to go on an L322. There are also Voyager Racks they make a dedicated tubular frame if you like that kind of thing. I used a FrontRunner Rack and fabricated a bracket to allow it to fit onto my OEM rails - which the vehicle came with.

Here's a link just as an FYI.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here is the prorack when newish

Mounting point

and my first step in reducing wind noise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts