RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - First time poster. Let me first say as a 31 year old man I have been dreaming of owning a Range Rover since I've been 12 years old, so I'd like to say I'm definitely envious of you all haha.

Long story short there is a Black on Black w/ black rims loaded 15' RRS HSE on sale here in SoCal at a LR Dealership, and I'm seriously considering buying it. It's currently listed a tad underneath 42k(the 1st sales guy I talked to there said they don't really haggle @ LR. That car has been sitting on the lot for 30 days. BS). I've been driving BMW's and MB for awhile now but as I said before have always wanted a RRS, and this fits the bill. It has all the works including drivers assistance pkg, vision package, pano sunroof, MERIDIAN SS(I tested the sound on the base one, abs horrendous).

Of course as is the case w/ all used RR's, there's a few downsides I'm seriously worried about.
1. It has 57k miles on it which is a bit more than usual for a 2015. I took a look at the service history, and it appears like whoever owned it before got it serviced just about every 15k miles, so I think it was somewhat well maintained but I heard once these cars hit 75k things start to go downhill. Should I be worried about the high mileage?
2. It's NOT CPO, and when I asked the LR dealership why they said it must be because there are aftermarket parts on the car and they won't CPO those. Is that def true? I'm always worried I'll get a Lemon, but it did pass their 165 point inspection which they claim they don't do for all cars that come through their dealership(not sure if that's true or not). Here is a list of what the dealer fixed on the car:
Battery replaced
Wiper(s) replaced
Front license plate bracket installed/replaced
Oil and filter changed
Rear brakes replaced
Battery/charging system checked
Emissions inspection performed

3. I asked for a quote on an extended warranty, she initially quoted me at 3 years, up to 75k miles for....wait for it...$4875!!!!! I almost fell of my chair. I talked to the internet sales mgr after and I told him that was outrageous, and he agreed. I of course didn't know that "Land Rover Warranty" was really just a 3rd party warranty they mark up, so I told him I'd do some due dill. He told me to come back to him with what I found. Carmax is selling a similar car for 40k, and their MaxCare extended warranty on the bottom end was 5 yrs, 100k miles for anything electrical, suspension or engine related w/ a $500 deductible. Should I go back and leverage that warranty? I honestly would be ok having a short term 2 yr extended warranty, esp if the car is fine and is in better shape than I think.

In short, I really want this car although some ppl think I'm being impractical. My other options are leasing a new BMW X3 M40I or Audi SQ5, which are fast and super nice with updated tech, but for some reason my heart is pointing in this direction. What I would like to know from you guys based on your experience is do you think there's significant risk in purchasing this car with the high mileage and not CPO? Also some reco's on Extended Warranty would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what you think. THANKS!

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts
Push them to find out why they won't CPO it. If they won't answer you, walk away. Find a CPO'd one and extend the warranty if needed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do these vehicles really start to go downhill after 75k miles? That’s pretty sad if they do. I have pretty much convinced myself into this being my next vehicle (same trim as OP), but I’d like something that I can keep for the next 7-10 years, and I put around 10-12k miles per year on my cars.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
Land Rover can't CPO vehicles over 50k miles. That's why trade in value takes a hit after 50k miles.

I haven't heard of vehicles going downhill after 75k miles but I guess we will see. I'm up to 55k miles now without any major issues. I am taking it tomorrow to the dealer to fix a slow fluid leak between the rear wheels. Otherwise I've really only had to go to the dealer for the annual service visits about every 16k miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard anything from "this car fell apart even before my 1st service" to "my car has 140k miles on it and i've never had any issues". Def depends on the car and how it's maintained, but I've heard suspension can give a lot of problems after 75k miles. But i'm no expert, just from what I've read online.

I asked to dealer for reasoning behind it not being CPO'd. They said it has nothing to do w/ the condition of the car, and has to do w/ the high mileage and to keep some of it's stock at a lower price point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess to summarize do you guys think I will be ok going without an extended warranty? Honestly I was thinking about waiting until EOY to get a feel for the car before purchasing one(not to mention bonus season helps), but adding miles might just make the Warranty more expensive down the line. I'm also curious as to your experience with your RRS after 50k miles. Thanks again and fingers crossed I'll officially be able to join the club!

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
20 Posts
I'd walk away if the dealer isn't willing to CPO it. Something is fishy there. I would not buy any vehicle without a manufacturer/dealer warranty (new or CPO). Just too much room for error, let alone one with over 50k on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They confirmed it's not CPO'd because it's over 50k miles. Land Rover apparently won't CPO any car that goes over that threshold. They said it still passed their 165 point inspection, although not sure how much weight that carries. Best quote I got for extended warranty was 4 yrs 60k miles bumper to bumper sans normal wear and tear items. ~5k.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
20 Posts
4 years and an additional 60k miles? you said the truck only has 57k on it. With a bumper to bumper warranty back in play it would be an option, but in your case I would consider how many miles you plan on doing in that thing. If very light, might be a good option, but if you are putting down anything over 15k a year I'd still look for something with lower mileage. There are deals to be had out there on these trucks, it all depends on how long you are willing to wait for the right opportunity. Don't get yourself into a headache over not being patient! The dealers will smell the impatience and urgency from a mile away and feed on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's great advice, thank you for your words of wisdom. I was thinking prob 7-10k miles a year. Only reason I was thinking 60k miles is because the 45k mile option is like $100 less in total, so I figured it was worth the extra $100 bucks. I was hoping for some dislocation in the pricing of this one, but I agree with you it might be more prudent to wait for one with less mileage.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
It costs money for a dealer to cpo a vehicle which of course they pass onto the customer.

Only real significance of a cpo is the extended warranty that’s already included. Usually it’s 6 year total and 100k miles.

Unless you get a steal of a price and can put aside money for possible repairs I would get one with a warranty.

Hopefully you have good Indy shops to work on it also because the cost of maintenance can be pricey. $400 oil changes $2000 brake jobs etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx for the feedback. Greatly appreciated.

My goodness. Is that 2k for all four or just front or back? I do have a guy locally who owns his own 2009 RRS, and he works on a bunch as well for normal maintenance. I think he said he can do them for like $800, although I may have misheard him haha.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
Usually $2000 or so is for all four, dealers charge a lot because they want you to change your pads and rotors each time.

I had just my pads changed at a tire place (the rotors were straight), and it was a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it - Yeah no way I would get regular wear and tear work done at a LR dealership. Same w/ Mercedes, they want to change everything for no reason to get an extra buck. They're chopping off a few grand which is actually a pretty good deal(wouldn't say absolute steal, but within steal range for a fully loaded HSE) so I'm going to go in tonight w/ my wife and check it out again. Including checking the inspection report. If I do put a deposit on it, I got a local mechanic(same guy I talked to before) who will do a full pre-purchase inspection for like $125. Trying to avoid getting a lemon at all costs, even if it's from a LR dealership. That's if they allow it.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
Sounds good, they should absolutely allow an independent mechanic to check it out, and if they don't that's a huge red flag. Good luck and post pictures when you take it home!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So of course somehow they came down a few grand on the truck (contrary to what they initially told me), and also miraculously matched my credit unions super low financing rate, AND chopped off over a grand on the extended warranty through the dealership. Apparently it's a "factory warranty" vehicle protection plan that's through LR dealerships and is valid at any LR dealership in the country w/ $100 deductible. Of course we all know there's no actual factory warranty but whatever haha. Anyway ended up working out, and wanted to thank all of you for your help in assisting with the process and helping answer all my questions. I greatly appreciate all your help and I'm looking fwd to becoming a productive member of the forum. 1 day w/ this baby and I'm completely hooked. No other SUV drives like these man. It's a **** tank! And that meridian sound system is absolutely incredible.

IMG-5229.JPG IMG-5231.JPG IMG-5241.JPG

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
16 Posts
Congrats!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts