Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the Bellevue area we had our first snow last night and plenty of ice. I had the opportunity to drive my 17' Supercharged in some real world conditions getting home and I quickly realized some winter rubber was in order. The Goodyear Eagle's didn't have the stopping power I would like to see. I have the 275/45 R21 wheels and plan on getting new wheels to go with dedicated winter tires. I have narrowed the tires down to the Nokian R2's and Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires. I have read many of the previous winter tire threads and was hoping to get some additional opinions on one brand over the other. The Pirelli can be purchased with the 275/45 size or 295/40 where as the Nokian can only be found in the 295/40 which my math indicates is as close to factory spec as I could find.

Appreciate the input from those with more RR snow tire experience. I will only be running these tires for 3 months a year. Heavy snow is not the issue. It is all the black ice we get and the topography that makes it challenging to drive when the weather gets cold for short periods.

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires 275/45 R21 and I am satisfied with them. In my area up in the Pyrénées mountains (Spain) there is Normally -0 to -10 and a lot of snow mud but the tires also have a quite good grip on ice roads even if I can’t compare them with Nordic Nokian Hakkapeliitta spike tires who is the best winter tires ever. But for areas where its not allowed to use spikes then the Pirelli’s is good enough.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
470 Posts
I ran the Nokians on my L322 and really liked them...have not put them on the L405 yet...not to many sizes for 20"...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was in the same boat (Seattle residence) and was going to get the Nokians. They are currently all sold out for the year. The newer version, R3's are coming out soon. Rather than wait, I went with the scorpions. Super quite and handles great. The Nokians might be over kill for our area.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up scoring a killer deal on a like new set of OEM 21 inch wheels and tires that are the same as the OEM set up for my 2017 I just bought. I am going to install winter tires on the wheels and keep the All Season Goodyear tires for when my current set wear out. As for the winter rubber I would like to get Nokian tires but will have to talk to Discount Tire and see what they have available. As you might expect ever since these wheels were delivered the weather has been great. Maybe if the Nokian are unavailable I will order now and wait for when they come in so I have them for next season ready to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
I run Hakka R2 SUV tires in 265/50/20 on dedicated rims for winter. It's my second vehicle running Hakkas, and there's literally nothing else like them. My rig in unstoppable, even in the worst winter conditions we get up here in the great white north. I would buy them again in a heartbeat and recommend them to anyone I know in the market for a true top of the line pure winter tire.

The Pirellis will be more responsive and crisper performing on dry pavement. In winter conditions, particularly on ice, they'll pale in comparison to the Hakkas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ran the Nokian Hakka R2 setup this last winter on 265/45/21 and was very impressed with them. I thought they performed better than the Vredstein Wintrac that I used to run on my L322.

If you want only 1 set of tyres year round, have a look at the Nokian WGR3 suv tyres. A friend had them put on his suv this last winter and was very impressed with them.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport
173 Posts
Nokian Tyres all the way. What many don't know is that Nokian Tyres are winter compound from 100% to 10% of the tread life. Pirellis are only good from 100% to 60% then they are regular all-season compound . Nokian did a event at Sullivan Tire in New Hampshire 2 weeks ago and explained all the differences, showed different brand cut in 1/2, the differences, and had a small test track to show the differences on exactly the same car. I asked them if they would make the Nokian WR series in the proper sizes for the RRS and RR so that we didn't have to do the yearly tire swap game anymore, and they said " we've gotten a lot of requests, they are working on it. "

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool. Thanks for sharing. I made it through winter on the OEM set up and am going to be mounting the R3's this coming fall on the wheels I purchased. They also appear to be making the R3's in the OEM RR size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.