RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure which one it is but its right under the alternator and the bearing gets noise at idle and seems to go away when i give it gas, when spraying belt dressing it goes away briefly but comes back. It sounds like its coming from the alternator, but its not, its other pulley bearing right under it, not sure which one it is, so someone can tell me or show me with a pic as well as tell me which one is the most common on that goes bad

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not 100% sure myself - but trough several months - Belt tensioners have become available at almost any car part dealer - I have a noisy "thing out there" in the same area - so I'm waiting for a belt tensioner from P38spares.co.uk to arrive any day now - he shipped my parts of tuesday... so I can almost feel the spanners in my hands..... wrum wrum...

Ferdinand

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
388 Posts
JaguarS4R said:
Not sure which one it is but its right under the alternator and the bearing gets noise at idle and seems to go away when i give it gas, when spraying belt dressing it goes away briefly but comes back. It sounds like its coming from the alternator, but its not, its other pulley bearing right under it, not sure which one it is, so someone can tell me or show me with a pic as well as tell me which one is the most common on that goes bad
Yep it will be the idler pully tensioner, I replaced heaps of these. You can mess around and replace the bearing or just replace the whole unit. Their pretty cheap, I think it's worth buying the whole unit that way you have a new tensioner as well :thumb: Regards Russell

·
Registered
271 Posts
Right next to the tensioner pulley is a fixed guide pulley. My noisy pulley happened to be the fixed guide pulley and not the tensioner. The guide pulley is cheaper than the tensioner, so if you're not sure which one it is, you might start with the cheaper one. I thought it was my alternator, too. My mechanic's stethoscope fooled me. The sound really travels through the metal. I only found out it wasn't the alternator after I went through the trouble of changing the bearings only to find the noise persisted.

Brett

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover MkIII / L322
765 Posts
70mm is the original pulley size. The technical info in the attachment suggests changing to the 80 mm and also changing the belt to suit the larger pulley. It cured my problem but it could also be the tensioner pulley shown in your pic which has a bad bearing or damage to the pulley grooves themselves. Changing the 70 mm idler pulley would be the cheaper option and once the belt is off it is very easy to remove the tensoner (only one bolt holds it on ) to check that as well.

A damaged belt can also cause strange noises.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ghur said:
70mm is the original pulley size. The technical info in the attachment suggests changing to the 80 mm and also changing the belt to suit the larger pulley. It cured my problem but it could also be the tensioner pulley shown in your pic which has a bad bearing or damage to the pulley grooves themselves. Changing the 70 mm idler pulley would be the cheaper option and once the belt is off it is very easy to remove the tensoner (only one bolt holds it on ) to check that as well.

A damaged belt can also cause strange noises.

are these pullies and tensenors the same from 95-02?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
765 Posts
Earlier models do not have the idler PQR101060 - the change over is 1999 with the Thor engine - but the tensioner is for all models. (the early model tensioner part No ERR3562 has been superceded with ERR6439).

·
Registered
922 Posts
remove the serpentine belt, hold each pulley wheel in your fingers and try to "wobble" it on its axis. There should be no play at all. Shot bearings will be readily apparent. You can buy replacement pulley wheels. I am a fan of composites...but in this case I went for the (heavier) metal pulley wheel with a new bearings...not a squeak/rattle /knocking sound since... 8) ...

·
LEGACY VENDOR
765 Posts
Let me know your VIN and I can give you the part numbers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am getting ready to replace the pulleys as discussed in this thread. Are there any tricks that I should be aware of? I did not find a step by step process on line, if someone knows of one, could they please post a link? Thank you....

·
Registered
276 Posts
It will certainly be much easier...

I did both on my GEMS (only one idler pulley) with the fan still attached, don't know if yours is GEMS or Bosch though.
The tensioner could be reached from above, the idler was reachable from below.

Sigi

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,759 Posts
bmwmotogreg said:
I did not find a step by step process on line, if someone knows of one, could they please post a link?
Details for working on your rig are in RAVE as mentioned in previous threads.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts