·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 280,000 k p38 4.0 on gas.
Recently purchased.
Alls good except the noise coming from the driveline.
I cant quite pick it either can the local range rover "expert" ..

It sounds like diff although i first thought ot was gear box which is actually quiet and perfect.

The noise is sounds like an electric train pulling away from a station..
Whirring winding and at slow speeds almost grinding noise. Nothing at all when in limbo whilst costing in gear or in neutral.
I checked the front diff and it had new oil in it. The rear was really low with silver **** in the oil.
Ive changed it and it was good for ten minutes and now really bad.

When you drive it you would sware its coming from the gear box area.. If i stick my head out the window it sounds like the rear then back in and i wonder if in fact it's the front..
I can feel it through the floor a slow speeds.

Obviously a bearing gone but where?
Thanks Peter

·
Registered
951 Posts
I just went through the same thing and it was the rear. The sound was confusing inside, same as you. But head out the window was pretty clear it was the rear. The good news is that a replacement carrier assembly works front or back if you get it wrong the first time. I picked up a used one here in the US for about $300 on ebay after someone here suggested that. Its a fairly easy job to swap the carrier assembly for another. It took me about a 1/2 day moving slowly and carefully. You just need some gasket sealer for the carrier to housing joint and gear oil. Surprisingly, no obvious damage on removal. But the pinion is difficult to turn, probably a toasted bearing. I'm still looking for a how-to on rebuilding the original with new bearings and properly preloading the bearings.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I bet your right. The oil in the rear diff was old and silver.
Cant wait to get this fixed, it sounds like an electric train! Cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its called know your car!
This arvo i changed the oil. then discovered that the LPG gas system had a leak. Fixed that!
Then adjusted the throttle cables then discovered how the cruise control works and found a split hose there ,cut it and fixed that! Then whilst lookng at what it would take to change the belt i looked at the air cond pump and saw that the clip on the top wasnt on properly... Now all of a sudden i have Cruise control and air conditioning!!
Yep i just love discovering how my Rangy works..
Now the diff ...
Is a discovery 2 diff the same as a 2000 p38?

Know your car!!! Lol
Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts