RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know how to put this in to words but here goes -

At around 1700 to 1900 rpm I can 'feel' vibration / rubbing through the steering wheel or column and I
I can also hear it.
When I am over 2200 rpm everything is normal and quiet.
I bought it six weeks ago. Range Rover Sport, 2006 and has 48,000 miles.

Before I could test drive it, new tyres and brake components were fitted.
I noticed the condition as soon as I drove it and mentioned it to the salesman. He said they would put everything right before I purchased.
Went in a few days later and he said they had tightened the power steering belt.
No change.

Took it back in for an engineer to test drive (they are the Land Rover Agent locally) it because the problem is much easier to hear and feel than to put into words.
He acknowledged it immediately. After a couple of miles at various rpm he said he was very confident that it was 'tyre noise'.

I left it with them and when I picked it up the manager said they had swapped the tyres from front to rear and vice-versa, and checked all gearbox and engine mounts. "Should be o.k. now"
No difference, in fact after loading the car with passengers and luggage the noise and feel were slightly more pronounced.

What do you reckon it could be folks; are they stringing me along until the three month guarantee runs out.
I'd really appreciate any thoughts
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
You should not accept anything short of a full fix of this problem, as anything that's not a simple fix could mean there are issues with the drivetrain or steering rack. You mention motor mounts and trans mounts, but also check the steering rack mounts. Also make sure you have the most up to date software for the transmission.

If it is the tires as the rep says, I'm not sure of where the rubbing noise comes into play assuming you have normal size tires. The OEM Conti's are notable for flat spotting after sitting and you may get a "whump-whump" noise, but that goes away after a while.

Then there's the infamous "clunk" in the front suspension. New swaybar bushings and control arm bushings will usually cure that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Goosy
Thank you for your very prompt reply.
I have been in touch with the dealer who sounded upbeat, and he booked it in for further investigation next week.
I will tell him your opinion and let you know what they diagnose this time.

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Camper said:
"So this monkey looking guy named 'goose', who by the way, is usually all sh1tz and giggles tells me...." :lol: ;)

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
TripleE said:
Camper said:
"So this monkey looking guy named 'goose', who by the way, is usually all sh1tz and giggles tells me...." :lol: ;)
...I believe there is a chance this problem can be solved :D

[youtube:17dqmppq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA&feature=related[/youtube:17dqmppq]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Camper,

I'm a new member to this forum but I had a similar problem on my car. I have a 2006 Range Rover Sport HST and a few months ago I experienced some vibration through my steering. After I sent it to be checked one of my mechanics found that my Camber Screw was rusted and that was causing the vibration. I don't know the exact details of how it caused the vibration but once they replaced it with a new one, the vibration was gone. I hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts