RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When stopped at a light (I'm guessing) the ABS pump comes on and runs for several seconds and then shuts off, but then will come back on almost immediately and can be very loud. Just starting to learn about these vehicles - is this normal for a 129k vehicle and what should I be looking at/repairing/replacing?

Brakes work well other than the rears squeaking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
boss,
Your accumulator is probably on the way out. It's basically a diaphragm that stores energy to aid when braking. If that's the original one, it's done its time. Also remember if your pump runs to much, it's life span will be shortened as well. ibis1

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible it's just the O-ring?

Is the ABS Pump the same as the EAS pump or are there two air pumps under the hood?

·
Registered
27 Posts
It might be the o-ring, but I think you have to replace the whole accumulator. I'm not 100% sure on this, I'm sure plenty of other people are better informed than me. When I bought my P38, it had the three lights (ABS, TC, PB) coming on everytime I stepped on the brakes. I bought a new accumulator and fitted it relatively easily and all seems to be good. Looks like I managed to get to it before the ABS pump wore out.

The EAS pump and the ABS pump are two seperate units. Though they are very close to each other I have noticed on the LHD cars. On my RHD P38, it has it's own little spot with no need to remove any intake piping to get to.

Have a read through here and it should pretty much answer your questions. It's what I followed to do the job on my own car. http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetail ... lator.html

Cheers,
Keels.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Are you certain that it is indeed your abs pump, and not the eas pump? abs pump is fairly quiet and can be very difficult to hear w/ engine running-more so if the eas pump is going.

Before doing anything w/ your abs system, I would confirm the origin of the sound.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not certain, but when it is running and I lift my foot off the brakes for a moment, it stops.

I'll pop the hood later today and check it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wasabipimpninja said:
It might be the o-ring, but I think you have to replace the whole accumulator. I'm not 100% sure on this, I'm sure plenty of other people are better informed than me. When I bought my P38, it had the three lights (ABS, TC, PB) coming on everytime I stepped on the brakes. I bought a new accumulator and fitted it relatively easily and all seems to be good. Looks like I managed to get to it before the ABS pump wore out.

The EAS pump and the ABS pump are two seperate units. Though they are very close to each other I have noticed on the LHD cars. On my RHD P38, it has it's own little spot with no need to remove any intake piping to get to.

Have a read through here and it should pretty much answer your questions. It's what I followed to do the job on my own car. http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetail ... lator.html

Cheers,
Keels.

Great read, I'll check it and probably be ordering one - found one on E-bay for $210 shipped from Miami Rovers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hello my friend
do not replace the accumulator if ur not getting the "tc abs and brakes" lights on the dash,if from morning start the accumulator is taking more than 40 seconds to charge and u have these warning lights on dash replace it.
when stoping at a light what ur hearing is the sound of ur air compressor doing changes to adapt with the road and u can feel the vibrations through ur cabin coz the compressors seals need replacing,it is vibrating metal on metal.the accumulator is not loud,and deffinitly u won't hear it in traffic conditions nor when driving.
it is ur air compressor and it is normal what ur feeling and hearing,replace the eas compressor seals and no more sounds,mine vibrates the same and needs seals but i won't replace them.i like to feel the vibrations of the eas compressor to make sure that it is not running constistently to adjust to avoid ruining it,if u keep it u will feel the vibrations thus knowing when it is pumping and when it stops coz if it is running always with non stop it means that u have air leeks and ur over working ur definitly underpowered eas compressor and u will soon refit onother one.
cheers good luck

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
161 Posts
Don't know if you solved this yet, but it's your EAS pump and not the ABS, don't know why it just does that. Something to do with re-adjusting the height after dipping under braking, then trying to level the car while stationary. Mine's been the same forever, gets grindier and rougher until you lift off the brake pedal.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you may be right.

Just popped the hood, the EAS pump is running, shutting off, and then running again....it's also VERY hot to the touch.

May not be a bad Idea to replace the ABS accumulator anyways.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mikeinfrance said:
Don't know if you solved this yet, but it's your EAS pump and not the ABS, don't know why it just does that. Something to do with re-adjusting the height after dipping under braking, then trying to level the car while stationary. Mine's been the same forever, gets grindier and rougher until you lift off the brake pedal.
That's it exactly! It gets really loud and "grindier"! Time for a rebuild? It doesn't look hard and I'd rather perform maintenance now than in the middle of winter!

·
Registered
189 Posts
My (new) accumlator is quite noisy - I can 'comfortably' hear it above traffic, ordinary radio volume etc - in fact whenever I give someone a lift they comment on it - I am assured it is operating ok and not too frequently but my experience is that it can be quite noisy - one of the little quirks of p38 ownership

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
161 Posts
accumulator is ABS ok, the noise problem is the EAS suspension pump. Mine's doing it for 180K so I'll replace it when it stops, no sooner :) `)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Re: Noise Question...EAS & Brake pedal

:doh:
TheBoss said:
mikeinfrance said:
That's it exactly! It gets really loud and "grindier"! Time for a rebuild? It doesn't look hard and I'd rather perform maintenance now than in the middle of winter!
Sorry to resurrect this post... air tank seems to be full and all's well with the world :D , EAS compressor suddenly starts to vibrate loudly sometimes when brake pedal is touched even lightly when parking - yet, when I momentarily lift foot off brake pedal, EAS compressor stops :shock: (excessive vibration due to delayed replacement of one of the small rubber compressor mounts...teflon piston ring and cylinder replaced a few months ago...compressor performs very well))
wondering if there is a straightforward explanation for relation between compressor operation and a dab on brake pedal ...or does it belong in the growing list of existentialist supernatural netherworld Lucas Prince of Darkness wonders of the RR world...Ughhhh :think:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts