RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having another front end issue. Under acceleration and at speeds less than 20mph, I am getting a popping noise coming from both sides of the car. I hear it in forward and reverse. It also makes the noise under acceleration while turning. I have checked all the suspension issues and everything is tight. It might be in my head but I feel the popping on my feet (floorboard) when the noise occurs. It seems to get worse as the car and ambient temperature increases. I also notice it when I brake hard at slow speeds. It has gotten a little worse in the last few days, and my local mechanic can't find the problem. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
drbimmerm3 said:
I am having another front end issue. Under acceleration and at speeds less than 20mph, I am getting a popping noise coming from both sides of the car. I hear it in forward and reverse. It also makes the noise under acceleration while turning. I have checked all the suspension issues and everything is tight. It might be in my head but I feel the popping on my feet (floorboard) when the noise occurs. It seems to get worse as the car and ambient temperature increases. I also notice it when I brake hard at slow speeds. It has gotten a little worse in the last few days, and my local mechanic can't find the problem. Any suggestions?
Lower ball joints need replacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Three weeks ago I replaced the upper control arm ball joints (bolt in ones) on both sides as well as the sway bar and
sway bar links. Do you think that I should look into the lower control arm ball joints or the inner bushings on the upper arm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
drbimmerm3 said:
Three weeks ago I replaced the upper control arm ball joints (bolt in ones) on both sides as well as the sway bar and
sway bar links. Do you think that I should look into the lower control arm ball joints or the inner bushings on the upper arm?
the lower joints, the set where on the passenger side the nut is held in place by torx screws.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are considered the upper ball joints, and I replaced those. Everything was good after I replaced those and the sway bar stuff, but this new noise is something else that has happened well after these were installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thread is for the lower ball joint. It is not serviceable so you must buy the
whole arm. The ball joint I replaced was the upper ball joint that has the Torx bolts
holding it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
drbimmerm3 said:
The thread is for the lower ball joint. It is not serviceable so you must buy the
whole arm. The ball joint I replaced was the upper ball joint that has the Torx bolts
holding it in.
Its the lower ball joints - trust us. You need to replace them both for the front left and right. Just had an independent shop do it for my 05. They also did sway bar mounts/control arms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
mcm said:
drbimmerm3 said:
The thread is for the lower ball joint. It is not serviceable so you must buy the
whole arm. The ball joint I replaced was the upper ball joint that has the Torx bolts
holding it in.
Its the lower ball joints - trust us. You need to replace them both for the front left and right. Just had an independent shop do it for my 05. They also did sway bar mounts/control arms.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you? I think mine are in need of replacement as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lower ball joints in mine went bad at 55k. If fixed alot of my problems. And river is as tight as ever. Still not the source of my problems. It is that **** sway bar again! Cost to do the lower ball joints complete with arm and inner bushing was $130 from Atlantic British. That is for each side. So $260 for the lower control arm with ball joint and bushings included. I also did the upper ball joints, sway bar, and sway bar links. The upper joints are $30ea and I can't remember the sway bar stuff.
 

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
Joined
·
630 Posts
I am having a similar problem. I replaced the lower ball joints and control arms this weekend. The clunking is better. But it is still present. Should I replace the upper control arms or the sway bars? Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Steve
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
stemikel said:
I am having a similar problem. I replaced the lower ball joints and control arms this weekend. The clunking is better. But it is still present. Should I replace the upper control arms or the sway bars? Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Steve
I think if you are unsure, you need to jack the front completely off the ground and get in there with a pry bar and see which ball joint if any has actually failed rather than start replacing things by guess work.

Dan
 

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
Joined
·
630 Posts
Thanks, Dan.

I should clarify that I tried that initially and thought that it was the lower control arm. I could not reproduce anything with manipulation of the upper control arms or the sway bars. Everything appears to be tight. Is there any way to identify if a bushing (on the sway bar) is bad?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top