RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the forum and have just bought a manual 1995 2.5dse around 4 weeks ago.
All has been great up until yesterday when this problem started!
Has anyone else experienced this in their range rover? I was driving along after a trip to the beach at around 55 to 60mph, driving great as usual then all of a sudden the revs went onto idle and I had no throttle and the little check engine light was on. I tried putting the clutch in and seeing if it would rev but nothing, it just remained at idle. I decided to pull into the road side and stop but soon as it came to a stop the light went off and the jeep started accelerating again.
On a 14 mile journey it decided to do this 4 times.
Any help would be very much appreciated on this. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
931 Posts
rrdan said:
Hi all, I am new to the forum and have just bought a manual 1995 2.5dse around 4 weeks ago.
All has been great up until yesterday when this problem started!
Has anyone else experienced this in their range rover? I was driving along after a trip to the beach at around 55 to 60mph, driving great as usual then all of a sudden the revs went onto idle and I had no throttle and the little check engine light was on. I tried putting the clutch in and seeing if it would rev but nothing, it just remained at idle. I decided to pull into the road side and stop but soon as it came to a stop the light went off and the jeep started accelerating again.
On a 14 mile journey it decided to do this 4 times.
Any help would be very much appreciated on this. Thanks in advance.
Had a similar problem on a different vehicle though and it turned out to be a fuel filter problem.By the way it is not a Jeep :naughty:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry about the jeep description :oops: . I will maybe have to go and buy a fuel filter today. There is no warning, doesn't hestitate or splutter, its like someone turning a switch on and off. I can be sitting at 60ish with my foot held in the same position on the accelerator and it just starts slowing down.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Not knowing how the diesel system in P38's works, could it be a speed sensor problem???? I.e faulty speed sensor and ECU goes into fault mode then resets when stopped????

Just a thought.

Stu

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,394 Posts
rrdan said:
sorry about the jeep description :oops: . I will maybe have to go and buy a fuel filter today. There is no warning, doesn't hestitate or splutter, its like someone turning a switch on and off. I can be sitting at 60ish with my foot held in the same position on the accelerator and it just starts slowing down.
How could anyone in the UK call it a Jeep? Shame! Shame! Shame! :evil:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
If it is a fuel filter, it is a clever one!
How can a fuel filter know when the rig is rolling or standing still? All it knows is whether it needs to supply fuel or not.
Rolling at 60mph with either the clutch in, or in neutral, should net the same results IF it is the fuel filter.
If not, then I would spend too much time replacing filters, especially if the tank needs dropped to do so :think:

Martin

·
Registered
483 Posts
My first guess would be the throttle position sensor but I don't know how that fits with beign OK at standstill.
Possiblly a roadspeed signal confused but ABS should light.

The good thing is if your check engine light came on then it has logged a fault so if you get onto a diognostics system then you will know exactly what the problem is.

·
Registered
931 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
If it is a fuel filter, it is a clever one!
How can a fuel filter know when the rig is rolling or standing still? All it knows is whether it needs to supply fuel or not.
Rolling at 60mph with either the clutch in, or in neutral, should net the same results IF it is the fuel filter.
If not, then I would spend too much time replacing filters, especially if the tank needs dropped to do so :think:

Martin
Well I did have a clever fuel filter then.My ford would lose power when driving normally.At times you could just keep it in motion with your foot flat on the floor.Other times it would grind to a halt ,but remain idling some of the time ,others it would cut out,but always restart.if you pulled off again ,it would pull normally for a 1/2 mile of so and then repeat the process,other times it would drive normally for the next couple of days.As it was a company car the dealers replaced numerous things,which did not cure the problem.until on a out of town trip,it happened again and I managed to limp it to a dealer in a small town with the intention of abandoning it there and return home by other means.Upon hearing the story,the workshop foreman, said" ah,I bet it is the second fuel filter next to the fuel tank,there is one in the engine bay as well ,so it is often forgotten when the vehicle is serviced."
I was skeptical as well,but he removed it and it was blocked/restricted.It was replaced and the problem never reoccured.There was of course harsh words with the main servicing dealer :twisted: :naughty:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
John,
very strange indeed!
I would have thought that at an idle for a few seconds, the fuel filter would catch up to the motor and fill again!
Never heard of one needing to come to a complete stop to give the motor fuel :think:
If you think about it, it makes no sense whatsoever does it?
Be a new one on me if it is that on the P38...
Keep us posted OP!

Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This really is a strange problem, I used it for a week and done over 400miles with no problems at all but on the way home it done the same 4 times and every time it wouldn't drive until it came to a stop.
I am going to drop it into my local garage on monday and have the fault checked. Thanks for the replies, I will keep you all posted.
I have other minor issues to fix but this one is the most annoying.

·
Registered
154 Posts
p38arover said:
rrdan said:
How could anyone in the UK call it a Jeep? Shame! Shame! Shame! :evil:
Well then you would surely have a heart attack if you were in Sri Lanka. Anything that has 4 wheel drive with a large lifted body (i.e defenders, landcruisers, nissan patrol like) is generally mentioned as jeep except by people like me. But i too have to use that word as some don't have a clue when i say i've a range rover. The most hilarious thing is that many garages/service stations don't even know that LR builds/makes RR's and they get confused seeing RR name with the LR logo :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts