Range Rovers Forum banner

No Taillights, Remote lock/unlock

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  umbertob 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Having some strange issues today since the weather is colder:

1. No rear taillights!!!! :shock: The top LED bar on the wing lights up but the two taillights do not. Parking and reverse lights work also.

2. Sporadic operation of remote lock/unlock with the keyless remote.

3. Idle is going up and down - (will clean throttle body, MAF, then BG44K)

Do you guys think its time for a new battery? Anything special I have to do when replacing the battery? What is a good replacement battery without having to visit the stealership?

MY2006 RRS S/C - 74K- all options without adaptive cruise control

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your replies! - D

#2 · (Edited)
Ok - replaced both bulbs and taillights work. However it is very strange that both taillights would go out at the same time. While putting in the new bulbs i noticed some browning on both sockets. Is this normal? The old bulbs i removed were the OEM bulbs made in Hungary and I replaced them with new OEM bulbs.

Isn't the RRS S/C supposed to warn you that a taillight is out? All rear lights were fine when I backed out of the garage this morning.

#3 ·
One of my brake lights in the back has been out for weeks, never got a warning. If your 06 has the original battery you are probably due for a new one real soon, but your problems don't sound battery-related. The idle thing may just be due to the cold weather (does this happen only at startup and then it settles?), try the other remote - if you have it - to see if the one that's giving you trouble may be the issue.

#5 ·
I have an Interstate battery under the hood but not sure how old it is.

Yeah, the startup idle only acts up when it gets cold outside.

I think my remote might be going bad and lost the spare long ago. I will order a new one from the dealer ($400+ Ugggghhh)

#6 ·
If it's an Interstate, it's already a replacement for the crappy OEM battery (Varta, N/A in North America) so you are probably OK, Interstates MTP are good quality batteries. The key fob issue... If you are adventurous you may try and buy a shell for it on eBay for a few bucks (plenty available), and transfer the electronic board and key blade from your defective unit into it. If it's just worn buttons on your original fob, a new rubber shell may fix the issue. Also, once the original fob is open you can also replace the supposedly rechargeable battery, which surely doesn't last forever as Land Rover wants you to believe. A bit risky to do if you don't have a spare key handy though, just in case something goes wrong during the open heart surgery. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.