RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently the ol'Rover fails to start. Yesterday after driving 20 miles and stopping the Rover for about 15-20 minutes it failed to start. I thought at first it maybe a battery problem but, it seemed to crank just fine. Just would not fire.

So, I got a ride home to get some jumper cables (I know I should have them in the truck). Tried jumping it. At first nothing, then after a bit it seem to crank faster but no go. Finally, since it seemed like it wasn't getting fuel I pumped the gas pedal a few times. Then it finally fired up.?????? Got it home, turned it off. It restarted just fine. And this morning, cold, hard rain, it fired up just fine.

This has happened twice before that seemed to be a fuel problem, but it would start up after a short wait.

What could be the cause of this very random and only occasional problem. Where should I look first. I have not changed any of the plugs, coil, wires, fuel filter, or anything else since I got the Rover in March (except thermostat, and top leaking radiator hose). All fliuds have been changed and I am not out of gas.

Thanks in advance.

Parker
1993 LWB Plymouth Blue

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well, you're either missing fuel or spark. The easiest to check is spark - keep a spare sparkplug in the car and next time you have a problem pull one of the plug leads, attach your spare sparkplug then clamp one of your jumpleads around the threaded body of the plug and the other end of the lead to the battery negative. Have someone turn the engine over on the starter and see if there's a spark, preferably a nice fat, blue one.

This will give you a pointer in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Also check the main site for info on the fuel pump connections giving problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts