RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, symptoms were upon occasion when key turned , all electrics spooled up and looked good to go...when turned to start there was nothing, has new battery { well less than a year}...when it did start it started perfectly...oddly the no start happened only to the wife...last no strat was in the driveway..it seems as if there is no signal to energize the starter circuit...think I hear a soft click under seat.....update: Mrs's just called and said are local indy told her to lock/unlock 5 times..and car started....guessing ECU ?? also...the locks are operating on there own, have been for awhile?? any thoughts??

Guess I should start looking for an ECU??

Thanks all...

Don Scott

·
Registered
701 Posts
Faulty door actuators on either the driver or pass side can cause the doors to lock and unlock. As for the start issue, there are a number of things that can cause this. Mine does this to me once in a blue moon. Everything comes on fine, the battery is strong, turn the key and nothing. The only cure for me seems to be taking the key out, putting it back in and trying again. So far its worked 100% of the time. Next time it happens, you can check to see if the starter is getting a signal. If not, you need to see where the signal/power is stopping. Its always fun working on problems that are intermittent. :x

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Always a good idea is to turn on ignition briefly for say a second or two before going for start, this lets the electronics get ready for all the info it needs to punch out.

Even on new cars this can happen and does, give it a try and see what happens

·
Registered
701 Posts
Always a good idea is to turn on ignition briefly for say a second or two before going for start, this lets the electronics get ready for all the info it needs to punch out.

I do it every time to all my cars. Glad to see I'm not the only crazy one doing it :thumb: . I've driven some friends' cars before that normally don't start very quickly. I turn the key to the on position and put my seat belt on, then start it. They usually don't notice I put the key to "on", and then they scratch their head as to why it fired up so fast. There is a reason they turn the power and systems on first in a plane before starting it... Car electrical systems are more complex, it would make sense to do it with them also.

Back to the problem. The issue still does it even if I let the computers boot up.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Yet to get one in with this problem, wonder if its not the RF reciever messing around/failing or a bad connector point

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, its over at my inys now....he says bad starter,,,,,somehow that mekes no sense to me.

DS

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
viperover said:

Most of the time, I do this automatically (perhaps a side-effect of driving oilburners for some time). But I have noticed in the Range, if I jump in and immediately turn to start, the electronics decide to take a few seconds anyway before the starter actually turns over. Starts perfectly either way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well its back...2 grand later...new water pump, new starter, new brake accumulator oil change etc etc, Just ran into a bind where I didn't have time and the spousal units car was a no go.......and had to get fixed pronto. seems ok but the days still young!!!

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts