RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today our 90RR died while driving. After finding no spark coming out of the coil, I replaced both ignition amp and coil and I did this twice ruling out both parts. All fuses on dash and under drivers seat looked good. Also inspected wiring to coil and ig-amp and it looked ok. Anyhow, replacing both parts made no difference as there was still no spark coming out of the coil. Anyone been here before? And anyone know if the 90RR has a code reader port under the passenger seat like our 93 does? Thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Have you checked coil supply + volts to terminal on coil? This is powered when ignition is switched on, if not then it can't work (coil switching is carried out on negative line to fire it).

Quick and rough test is to supply it with wire direct from battery + terminal to test.

Connect wire to coil + FIRST to make sure you've verified the correct one, then get somebody to just hold it onto battery plus to crank it for test.

Note:- vintage hotwire method to bypass vehicle ignition and steal said vehicle ;)

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stranger and stranger....After letting her sit for a couple days I once again started her looking for spark coming out the coil and IT DID! :shock: Cap, rotor, and wires were already replaced however no spark came out the the wires. I installed a new dizzy and she started right up. I've inspected the old dizzy and could not find anything wrong with her. Magnets uncraked, gap @ .010, & springs were all OK to my eye. Anyone seen a problem like this?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
may have been a defective rotor, for some reason replacement rotors are somewhat finicky out of the box and land rovers tend to be quite particular about them. then again, the vehicle and its components and electronics are 29 yrs old. so many heat cycles, miles of road vibration and all the abuse an engine takes, could possible be narrowed to a failing ignition module. of course testing of components would yield a proper culprit as well.
the procedure is all in the rave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts