RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can help with a starting issue on my 2001 P38 4.6 (Thor engine) 160K miles.

I finally got round to replacing the head gaskets after the common overheating issue, the engine was stripped, photographed at every stage and from help off here and Rave put back together. It had however been off the road for 12months before the repair (due to back injury) and the battery flattened (now replaced) but it appears I have no spark when cranking.

After reading endless posts am I correct in my diagnosis that the only way to sync the engine is to get a Rovacom or equivalent to reset the codes (I have the EKA code) and is it worth replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor as this appears to be a common issue too. Or does the EKA code sync the engine as I'm a little confused as to what it actually synchronises and what is left not talking to each other.

Any advice would be gratefully received as leaning over a V8 that doesn't start is killing my back!

Many thanks in advance.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
When you turn the ignition on, does the Check Engine light on the dash come on? If it doesn't, then it is a sync problem, if it does, then it's something else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked and the engine light and it is on, also checked again and definitely no spark. Thanks in advance and any ideas welcomed.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
SOunds like maybe something was left disconnected. Time to start tracing circuits. I would double check the coil packs first and then the main engine harness plug.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do, I'll start with coils etc and try find the missing connection.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
If it's a 2001, then it will still show a CEL light on the dash in position II and will crank over whether it is in sync or not.
Only the GEMS model will not show a CEL if it is out of sync.

If you have no fuel or spark, then it could still be a loss of sync in the later Bosch vehicles (and also the diesels).

Otherwise I would be looking at the fuse box as they are known to have issues and you could have a burnt track that's on the PCB stopping power getting to where is needs to be to run the engine. My money would be on the sync being out though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I've synched the management system with blackbox synch mate and it did flash that it was out but still no spark! Guess it's back to checking the wires again! Oh joys of a p38.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still no joy!.. Sync the engine checked connections plugged in obd2 and got no codes.

Anyone want to buy it very cheap I gove in!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts