Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the dealership to set up my one year/10k mile service and was informed that for the 2020 models and up the service/oil change isn't needed until 24 months or 21k miles. I asked to speak with a service advisor and she confirmed. That's pretty crazy to not get an oil change for 21k miles.

·
Registered
2017 RRS TD6
92 Posts
I called the dealership to set up my one year/10k mile service and was informed that for the 2020 models and up the service/oil change isn't needed until 24 months or 21k miles. I asked to speak with a service advisor and she confirmed. That's pretty crazy to not get an oil change for 21k miles.
Man that is crazy...

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Do you have the inline 6?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interested as well. I have the i6 turbo. Only 3k miles right now and I was thinkin to get it done around 5k.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
interesting.

·
Registered
2016 TD6 and 2018 SCV8 Range Rover Sports
482 Posts
While Land Rover's testing may indicate it's okay to go that long between oil changes the problem is if the oil is breaking down, has lost its protective properties, is contaminated by fuel or antifreeze etc. the engine could be wearing prematurely. You can have the oil changed more frequently or for about $35 have it tested to see how it's holding up. Cheaper than an oil change and you will have a detailed record of it's condition. I've used Blackstone Laboratories.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While Land Rover's testing may indicate it's okay to go that long between oil changes the problem is if the oil is breaking down, has lost its protective properties, is contaminated by fuel or antifreeze etc. the engine could be wearing prematurely. You can have the oil changed more frequently or for about $35 have it tested to see how it's holding up. Cheaper than an oil change and you will have a detailed record of it's condition. I've used Blackstone Laboratories.

cool, thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is insane. These people don’t care about your vehicle, so don’t ever listen to that nonsense. Oil not only lubricates, but also cools the engine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My local service manager said every 10K miles or 12 months. Cost is only around $200 and I get free car wash too!

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I have the dynamic v8
This must be a misunderstanding then by the staff there. the V8 never-ever had these service maintenance schedules. What you're told is not in line with Land Rover's recommendation.

·
Registered
306 Posts
This sounds outrageous. I would never let my Rover go that long. As much as I get on the throttle no way would I let it go that long. I do mine every 5k. Motor is expensive to replace. At that point it junk to me. Not worth fixing. So I take care of the lifeline of my motor. I would do a oil change or 2 between their services if they told me that. I do it myself so it cost me around 80 with oil and filter diesel motor.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
703 Posts
I would not do that if you plan to own the vehicle outside of the warranty. Tagging in @Ham Hands . He has some experience here.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Interested as well. I have the i6 turbo. Only 3k miles right now and I was thinkin to get it done around 5k.
Do it now if she's new... Always get the oil changed after 1,000 miles on a new engine as that is when the rings, pistons, cylinder walls, valves, valve cams, crank-shaft, all bearing surfaces have been and are meshing with each other! It's cheap insurance.

Also, with my new AJ-V8 Supercharged fully replaced OEM engine back last year I changed my own oil at both mine and the Master Mechanic and Shop Foreman at JLR North Atlanta's suggestion... That was the dirtiest oil I've ever encountered in my almost 30 years of working on our family vehicles (since I was 13 years old)... It was disgusting that Castrol Professional 0W-20 oil (probably the best oil I've ever used btw)...

So yes, change the oil at 1K when new and between 5-7K after that to keep these High Performance and High Tolerance Engines happy!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I would not do that if you plan to own the vehicle outside of the warranty. Tagging in @Ham Hands . He has some experience here.
Absolutely bro! The previous owner of our Rover went too long between oil changes and the engine disentigrated from both dirty oil and not enough oil in the sump both the Master Mechanic and Shop Foreman stated right away when our baby burn bearings on both number 1 and number 5 piston rods and ruined the crank shaft and the rest of the engine...

$40,000 and change later (thank God that He make the warranty company finally pay up btw) and I'll never let her get either low or go past 7,000 miles before an oil change... We did 1,500 miles in a week back in July for vacation so I'm going to change the oil at 5,000 miles because of that round trip. We hauled A$$ that trip down and back nicely so when rolling on long road trips like that I change oil at 5K instead of the normal 7K. For less than $200 it's an easy decision and takes me less than 20 minutes to perform myself with Castrol Professional 0W-20 from the Dealer and OEM filter as well (dealer is <5 miles from home). Even still, I'd order from recommended great online vendors on here and have delivered for about the same if I wasn't so close to the dealer. We are all Car-Guys/Gals here so we take care of our stuff. These are High-Performing 520+HP vehicles and I see no need to cheap out on 100,000 vehicles that take care of us and our families...YMMV...

Reactions: stemikel

·
Registered
3 Posts

Good to see someone has a brain oil is much cheaper than a new engine down the track as soon as the warranty runs out

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
6 Posts
Well I would not exceed 5k even with the best synthetic. This may be a diesel but the only difference is the black color due to soot (normal for diesel) but your old oil on the gas engine would be a very dark brown with lots more acidic contaminates would replace the soot... acid destroys the bearing surfaces chemically... basically all moving parts wear areas. This oil has normal soot contamination, but that this sludge is from acid contamination reducing the oil to basically a fat:
watch the whole thing from there. Also remember alcohol additions to the fuel mix common nowadays increase oil contamination by creating more acids. Yes you can draw out a cup (and replace with new) and send it to an oil lab for analysis and use that as a guide. But just believing 21K miles is playing the game that traditionally Rover dealers expect the average customer of these high end vehicles to move up to the new model in two years.

·
Registered
2016 TD6 and 2018 SCV8 Range Rover Sports
482 Posts
Interesting video Rustin, thanks for posting! Wish the mechanic knew more about the mileage and history though he did suspect the oil had never been changed and frankly the gunk inside would support that!

·
Registered
41 Posts
As I'm due for an oil change (at 3K miles but 12 months old), according to my JLR service department the 24 month / 21K miles is only for 4 cylinder engines. Your experience may vary...

·
Registered
306 Posts
blauparts has a sale on oil kits buy 2 save 10%. No tax and free shipping. Just bought another 2 kits since im about to use my last on up real soon. 1,000 more till i hit 100k.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts