RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Gang,

Today for the first time the screen on my Nav/radio display went blank. I could still turn on the radio/CD button and hear radio but there was no image on the actual screen. I turned on and off the radio several times to see if the screen image would return, but no luck.

Power was still going to the screen because I noticed the screen was still backlit but there was no image.

Has anyone encountered this before? Are there troubleshooting tips I can try?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts
Your navigation computer has died. Same thing happened to me. Look in the rear electronics compartment (open trunk, left carpeted hatch) and see if there are signs of water intrusion and/or rust on the Mk3 or Mk4 nav computer.

The good news is new ones can be had on ebay or craigslist for just a couple hundred bucks. I eventually opted for the newer Mk4 navigation computer as they've come down quite a bit in price (<$500) as the tech is now very, very dated and BMW X5's seem to be dying at a phenomenal rate. I'm happy with the upgrade, it's not the latest-and-greatest but is good enough to get me another year or two out of the truck before I sell or trade it. Installed the latest Range Rover software, put in a 2010 map DVD, good to go...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sometimes it is possible to revive the failed nav computer, I fixed my MKIII nav three times before I got annoyed with wasting time on it and upgraded to an MKIV. Although it is still outdated compared with newer GPS systems that are out there, it is a huge difference from the MKIII and I haven't had any problems with it.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I've had this happen on several occasion, in my case removing the nav unit from the back of the car, cleaning all the connections on the back + cables in the compartment, then refitting has been a remedy. It happens every 8 months or so, for me I think it has something to do with a bit of moisture in there and the plugs backing themselves out enough to short the signal to the display on the dash. I wouldn't chalk it up as broken until you've at least removed it, clean, refit.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
True, at least try the simple clean and refit, I got fed up with mine because I had to make repairs on the circuit board which were far more involved... took hours of work, especially after the firmware got corrupted and I had to reflash the EEPROM, that was where I drew the line. Luckily, I had free access to the rather expensive equipment required. Once I repaired it the third time I sold it since I had it working again. MKIV has been problem free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi!

Can you just replace the MK3 unit with the newer one or do you have to upgrade something else.
I sell parts for RR and today was the second time someone came to me with this problem - sat nav screen dead (had the backlight on do) radio working, but shuts down after a half on hour or so. First time we replaced the radio unit and it was fine. We will check what the problem is here tomorrow.

I took my nav computer CD unit out of my car and the sat nav screen works just fine, so I don't get the connection here.... Are you sure about this problem is related to this unit/computer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar situation here, picked up an '03 RR from an auction, great deal, great truck, however the previous owner did some bone head stuff to the audio. The audio components all work except the Nav screen is blank so I have to navigate through cds and radio stations blindly. There was a CDR disc stuck in the rear Nav drive and after delicate removal I do not have another disc to insert to test it. Before I start tearing into this thing to replace the head unit with an Android system, I would appreciate any help identifying some of these after market components that were installed. I think he replaced the stock sub with an amp and ran the amp to box that was removed prior to my purchase. I do notice 2 unplugged (what I think are) fiber cables, at least they are the same type connection as the small metal plug on the back of the Nav computer. Any help in sorting this out is much appreciated!!!
20160311_113542.jpg
20160311_113521.jpg
20160311_113530.jpg
20160311_113604.jpg
20160311_113616.jpg
20160311_113658.jpg
20160311_113638.jpg
20160311_113625.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts