RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was so happy to recharge my R12 AC system - all was good - getting ice cold. Ran for over 30 minutes from 1200-1500 rpm, building a slow charge. when I got to the 2.38# charge, suddenly the fans went completely out and so did the power to turn the compressor.

I also noticed the DOME light went out too (LED BULBs). checking fuses on dash -nothing blown and swapping in a new standard 40a relay, testing one relay at a time (except the one with funky blade on drivers door) and nothing has brought back the AC.

truck runs okay. headlights and all other lights work proper. Thoughts of what to check or common blown relays to replace in pairs ? fan mode switch does not toggle to turn on recirc, etc.. its' like the whole AC system and fans have no power at all. Fans not making funny noises beforehand.. I did have the ABS relay go out last year in this sudden fashion -- just dont know location of all 1993 LWB (build 10/1992) fuses, links, relays -- and of course I'm 900 miles from my 1992 3" electronic manual and 3" shop manual.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
do you have heat fan blower? these model years had a tendency to burn the blower control switch and its connector. other than that maybe just maybe you have overcharged the system with r12.further and deeper into the issue could be a failed blower fan resistor pack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
moved the radiator expansion tank out of the way and got to the wrapped bundle of fusible links that are about 10" down the line on the positive battery cable. That line was scorched in two - the connector wire, not the fusible link. soldered in a heavy replacement and got ALL back on..! Fans, AC, dome, radio... HOWEVER, the fans pull so much that the new line is warm to the touch and compressor not kicking in unless I jumper the switch. possibly 2 pounds of freon leaking out overnight? I think the fans are drawing too much load, as swapping in the relay it sparks.I seldom use the fans and the AC hasnt been fully charged for 10 years. it was ice cold before blowing the line. do fans draw heavy load before going bad ? or is that how you know they are bad ?

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
if the cable gets hot, it might just be too small in diameter. How many amps do the fans pull at what is the smallest diameter of wire? any other connectors on the way?

·
Registered
368 Posts
When fans go bad after many years the permanent magnets might have come loose. They are typically glued and the glue gives up. You can normally hear it as a scraping sound when the fan switches off and comes to a stop. It the magnets move the whole motor can become inefficient and draw a lot of power with very little blow (just gets hot).

The fan should move very freely with no noise when you turn it by hand

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will listen for the scrape - good advice. Had mice get in there a few years back and it snowed insulation. Probably some got wrapped around fan, making it inefficient. How difficult is it to get to the fans ? Need to remove core and break open system ? I've changed out everything in a car but a heater fan in my life..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
— it wasnt just the solder that burn up - the wire going TO the fusible link fried. That seems backwards !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts