RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, first post - great forum.

Been on a while now and learnt a lot, now I need your help

2002 TD6 HSE, 110k miles, full dealer history, not missed a beat in the 12 months owned, not driven hard (couldnt if you tried :lol: )

Pulled out of petrol station this morning on way to work and lost all drive. Managed to roll the car to a parking spot and cut out engine straight away. Left for a couple of minutes, started it up fine but when I select any gear, its make some pretty bad noises (clunking, whining) and will not drive at all. Nothing displayed in message centre

Spent this morning researching and found RRPhil's posts extremely informative (who wouldnt?) Perhaps he, or somone can help me with my problem :crybaby2:

Any thoughts, ideas, experiences shared will be appreciated

Phil

·
Registered
11 Posts
Front diff spline coupling failure is a common problem, Range Rover rectify this for free as a kind of recall. There is much info on this forum.
Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
L322Pilot thanks for your post, I've had similar feedback from another forum.

I know the diff has been done as I checked the history with main dealer before buying.

If it needs another, will this will be covered under the recall too?

G

·
0 Posts
liverpoolphil said:
L322Pilot thanks for your post, I've had similar feedback from another forum.

I know the diff has been done as I checked the history with main dealer before buying.

If it needs another, will this will be covered under the recall too?
It's unlikely unless you can prove some negligence on the dealers part during the first installation.
At best, you might be able to get a goodwill payment out of them.

Have you gone under the vehicle and started tugging on drivetrain components yet?
If it's the front spline, you should be able to see this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
had a quick look under the car this morning but didnt really know what to look for, will have a closer look later

Interesting about not being covered....I have read numerous stories about others havng multiple diffs replaced?? :shock:

What should I be looking or feeling for specifically under the car??

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This page shows the part you should be looking at. Depending on how badly it is broken you may not be able to notice anything just by looking at it, but certainly if it is loose or totally broken off that would be pretty obvious. The noise you describe is pretty ominous.

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetail ... tdiff.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jings oh..... back to the garage I would guess.
BUT, what caused it?
Also and more importantly, it aint yer gearbox.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Has it ever been in an accident? Did it have the proper amount of oil?

G

·
0 Posts
Just to clarify, is that the diff end or the wheel end?

To me, it looks like a collapsed CV joint at the wheel end. If so, how is that a diff problem.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I can't really tell what that picture is... I was assuming diff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
to the right of the pic is the diff? to the left of the pic is the front left wheel. `) Front collapsed CV joint is what is looking most likely

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
didnt hear a thing, it just lost drive in an instant

Anyone replaced one of these before, is there much to it?

Would you buy a brand new shaft or would a second hand one do? (found one of a 2005 for a reasonable price)

G

·
0 Posts
A second hand one should be ok. I've not seen or heard of a failure like this before which makes me think it's not an epidemic.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Hard to tell now since it is completely failed, but perhaps its grease leaked out and caused premature failure. I know a lot of BMW have this issue. You have to keep an eye on the rubber boot and make sure it doesn't become cracked or torn allowing the grease to leak out. I like to spray silicone on rubber surfaces to help keep them from drying out and cracking.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I might add, if you choose to use any spray make sure to use one which does not contain any solvents or it will not have the desired effect!

[edit] actually, the stuff i use doesn't even have silicone... but it seems to work anyway. Griots Garage rubber dressing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sourced a 2nd hand one - but its off a 4.4v8 (not Td6)

I suspect this is the same part, can anyone confirm?

LR Dealer want £350 :crybaby2: :crybaby2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts