RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after experiencing some running issues i have taken the rig back to the garage that did the head gasket, i had been experencing alot of blue smoke out the exhaust and now it is running roughly also two middle plugs had a covering of oil, they have done a compression test a say there is no compression on 1 or 2 cylinders, is this likely to be true, i was thinking the valve stem seals were gone and that this was the cause of the blue smoke (They did not replace these when doing the head) can this cause these issues.
cheers
Onetime

·
Registered
517 Posts
Failed valve stem seals will not cause a complete loss of compression - they just stop oil being sucked in to the engine. If they are leaking they will allow oil to be burned giving the blue smoke - usually worse when accelerating following a period of overrun. For a complete lack of compression something more serious has failed. Could be a bent valve not closing, broken valve spring, failed piston rings or hole in piston, but if it is on 2 adjacent cylinders - failed head gasket/warped or cracked head.

Why were the head gaskets originally done? Were they skimmed and pressure tested?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thnaks for the response, head gasket failed that why they where done the first time, the heads were skimmed not sure if pressure tested. the guy at the garage said across to cylinders he is not getting any pressure. is this wrapped head or failed head gasket. any ideas.
onetime

·
Registered
517 Posts
Could be either/both, could have been caused through heads not being torqued down properly. Head will have to come off to find out - hopefully they give a warranty with their work.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi the guy at the garage is suggesting that it may be the pistons rings etc, and saying he doesn't want to look at this. What about theburning oil, i really want my argue emt to be tight before i go back.
Onetime

·
Registered
517 Posts
Broken piston rings would give both increased oil consumption and loss of compression. It would seem a big coincidence that the rings on 2 pistons would fail simultaneously.
Just to confirm - which cylinders have lost compression? What happened - was the engine running ok and then suddenly started running rough. Any overheating?

To narrow things down you could get a leakdown test done which should help identify if it is piston rings, valves or head gasket without stripping engine.

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick update guy at the garage told that it was only one cylinder which had no compression at all. it has been using alot of oil and we both suspected the rings have gone what do people think?
onetime

1 - 8 of 8 Posts