RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When switching over to the 4 wheel drive option on our 99 range rover with an automatic, nothing changes. No L or H next to the gear selected in the message center, it just drives like normal (2H?). No gear reduction or anything.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,761 Posts
:think: I wasn;t aware 2H was an option on our rigs.

The shift solinoid has been covered several times. A bit of search will give more than a few posts on testing and repairs... both are quite simple.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,393 Posts
harley said:
When switching over to the 4 wheel drive option on our 99 range rover with an automatic, nothing changes. No L or H next to the gear selected in the message center, it just drives like normal (2H?). No gear reduction or anything.

Umm, Range Rovers have been permanent 4WD since they were introduced in 1970. There is no 2WD option (well, until the new Evoque comes out).

They are either 4H or 4L.

Are you reading the owner's handbook correctly?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Tough crowd here! ;)

Do a search on Shift Solenoid, should help with your diagnosis.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Maybe you are referring to you wanting to shift to low gear with the transferbox and it doesn't shift.

There might be a problem with the shift motor or the position indication switch of the transfer gear. If you shift from high to low, the low light should flash during change over. When changing back to high, the high light should flash. With the flashing lights I mean the back lights next to the shifter under the covers that display N-R-P-D-2-1. Does this happen on your car?

regards

Jos

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
upon further inspection, the motor on the transfer case is disconnected. any ideas why someone would do that? i'm afraid if i hook it back up it might toast the transmission control module...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Probably the po was constantly checking his flex plate and did not want the bother of undoing it every time. That should not cause a severe issue if not driving thru sand and water at that depth. Good luck in your decision process to trouble shoot. Logically, if disconnected it stopped some type of problem, but if tranny is working on the high range side it should not affect that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I plugged in the stepper motor for the transfer case. Still no 4 wheel drive. It just acts like I never even tried to engage it. No errors in the message center either. The mode button is still weird as well. It seems like the sport mode is the normal mode, except the shift points are super low, around 1000 rpm. The normal mode shifts late in general, around 3000 rpm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts