RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

A friend recommended that I switch the tire air in my vehicles to Nitrogen. Does anyone here have some experiences to share?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
I've heard two excuses for Nitrogen in tyres, first one was for racing cars because its lighter and doesn't attract moisture , and the second was even better in that the molecules were bigger and less likely to leak out of the valve and tyre both of which mean nothing in the real world. Air is suprisingly good for the job and if you are lucky it's free :thumb:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
air is about 70% nitrogen, if the tire place will do it free, go ahead. The big benefit is it has no moisture in it, so it won't rot the tire from the inside (is that really an issue these days???) the big benefit for race-cars is the moisture in non-dry air will boil and increase the tire-pressure, causing problems. It's easier/cheaper to cary bottles of N2 to the track than a compressor with an efficient dryer assembly.

If they charge, don't bother.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Axle & Dennis,

Thanks for the enlightening responses. The Nitrogen is going to be free from my friend's dealership so I'd give it a shot today for the fun of it.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
509 Posts
just remember you cannot mix it

once on nitrogen you have to stay on

In the Netherlands it is now a very common thing, all wintertyres are done with Nitrogen

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Lummac said:
just remember you cannot mix it
B.S. that's a marketing ploy from those selling the N2. Air is 70% N2, so it's already mixed......

If there's a law that states you can't fill an N2 tire with regular air, that's a prime example of lobbyists gone mad.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Of course you can mix

but then the whole reason for putting Nitrogen in is obsolete when mixing with air

The reason you put it in (especially in winter tyres) is to overcome that moisture in the tyres freezes and you get an instable car, or a nasty vibration

·
Registered
687 Posts
i actually talked to my local indy about this and he said you'll defeat the purpose of nitrogen filling if you mix, because the N percent has to be around 98%+ to use the advantage of using N :0.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
Oh please , you will never tell the difference in any conditions you may find your self in , the only real point is you can sell Nitrogen it gets a little harder to sell Air. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts