RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love 'em. Rig looks 'proper' now. Not to mention the increased comfort and decreased road noise.

IMG_9379.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks great! I just put BFG KO2's on this Friday (275/55R20). What a world of difference they make with the lift and extra sidewall. As you said, better comfort, less noise (though I'm thinking that's because my stockers were worn pretty heavily/dried out). Actually great in the rain too compared to my Toyo AT II's.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
517 Posts
270/60R20 = 32.76 inch diameter. I am running 275/65R18 which have a 32.07 inch diameter and are real tight even after flattening the weld seam and moving the rear wheel well trim. You may be able to squeeze those in the rear wheel well but it will require some work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks great, jealous that ill never be able to get that much sidewall on the supercharged version. I purchased some Atturo Trail Blade x/t's today . I believe I went with the biggest possible at 275/55/20 and my mechanic recommends doing a height adjustment raise in all modes of at least .25'' when I get a chance ill likely do that with his height tool. I want to see how they do first. White Rover IMO take the time to find some 18'' rims if you can and you're going to use them off road, your sidewalls will thank you and they obviously look darn good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get the Compmotive 18" Rims for your SC compmotive.jpg

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
Yep I'm loving mine too. I did it as I take the car off-road, but extra benefits are that the car both looks and rides on-road much better too, finally as in my opinion (as a Brit) a Range Rover should. I've always thought that low-profile tyres on vehicle designed for off-road use just look stupid. Don't even get me started on the people that fit 22's and/or lower them.

The down side is that the fronts do barely rub on full lock. There's a structural cross member that stupidly protrudes into the rear of the front wheel arch on both sides. Terrible design idea. (You can see in the pic where it rubs). I've been wondering how structurally safe it would be to at least cut the corner of it off and keep its strength by welding a flat piece of metal in its place. Anyone?

I guess one alternative would be to get a new set of rims with a much lower offset. I've no idea how much it would take though.

arch.jpg member.jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts
Don't even get me started on the people that fit 18's - 20's and raise them, cut frame parts off, trim fender wells, remove part of the gas filler tube, johnson rod it/make their own rods etc...
Similar types of mods just to change the look of this fantastic looking Rover.
Each to their own....I do them both and love each look.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Justniz, what year is your sport and what size tires do you have that caused the rubbing?

Rovercharged, I'm confused what you are saying... are you against the mods you mentioned? when you say you do them both, what are you referring to?
thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just clarifying that I love to do both of these mods to my rover....Up high with larger tires and down low with 22's
That's the beauty of these rovers they look great to me either way.
Basically stating that Justniz comment that this is the way a rover is suppose to look -big tires & up high - requires
as many modifications if not more - as down low with smaller profile tires
One is still changing the original look/engineer's intent of the RRS.....
And I'm just kidding around anyway....opinions are just that - opinions -
I think the RRS looks great either way!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have the Nittos on my RRS but only 265/60R18s and I have found them to be quite good. Certainly don't see the need for 22s as these are not much good offroad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have ‘12 RRSS with factory wheels and threw a set of Nitto 285/50-20 on it and depending the tire pressure, I’ll get a slight rub at normal height. I’m throwing a set of 2.5 lift rods on there so shouldn’t a problem anymore but even without it, it’s rarely noticeable. Truck looks much more aggressive and the ride is smoother. The old tires low profile bent my rims a few times and I think this should help tremendously. After the lift kit and these tires wear out I’ll probably go with a set of 32” but for now, pretty happy about the upgrade. The speedometer is about 7% slower than actual speed but after I get a diagnostic tool or get the ECU flashed, I’ll get that corrected.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went with 265/50R20 as it seems to be a more commonly available size and thus a little cheaper.

Great tires. Surprisingly quiet ride despite the aggressive tread.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
The "sweet spot" is a 285/60/18 configuration, but the others will give you quite a bit of capability nonetheless and as folks have mentioned to avoid rubbing, you have to downsize just a wee bit.

I'm almost done wearing out a set of Yokohama Geolandars in 265/60/18 sizes since the tire store didn't have any 285/60's at the time I needed to replace them, and they've been just fine...just a little small looking. Multiple sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers before in 285/60/18. I am tempted to try out some of the Falken's next time around though...would like to see them in person.

i usually run 40psi all the way around while on road, so 37/38 is just fine...less than that and it gets too squishy around corners.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wish I could run smaller rims, so many more choices. Thanks for the feedback on tire pressure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Its a 2012 SC with 285/50 R20s. It looks great and rides so much smoother than low-profiles even on the street. It does feel slightly more sluggish when you put your foot down, but I'm happy with that as a tradeoff.
I would have dropped the 20'S and gone with 18's and bigger tyres, but 18" rims don't even fit over the SC model's brakes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
After the install the tire pressure was roughly 34 psi and it felt sluggish but when I increased it to 38/39 feels much better in terms of response and stiffness. I haven’t done the chalk test but the tires tread on the side is wearing so it’s not bowed but I may do it this weekend just to make sure.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
looks good. i was on the first terra grapplers when i upgraded to 18s and after a few sets of coopers, i'm back. put on some G2s just before the WNLRR

IMG_0016.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts