RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From behind the bootshelf I picked up this bunch of wiring, obviously the satnav is removed.
From what I can identify is a videotransmitter, a GPS unit, a discplayer probably for navigation, a speakerunit probably for Phone (separate speaker under the pass. seat) and behind the card is a sattellite antenna that was glued to the quarter window, plus a screen fitted in the dash.

The wiring to the dash is still intact, although there has been some butchering with the wiring taking place.
All I want is to install a backing-up camera as parking aid and visibility when hooking up a trailer.
A camera is only a tenner or two, will it work with this stuff?

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you;
Like a challenge,
Are reasonably electrically competent,
And have time on you hands.
Then google all the bits you have for the pinouts and go for it.

If you;
Are easily dispirited,
Don't like electrics,
Are in a hurry,
Then through it all away and start again.

I found all sorts of phone adapters and a mute device in my car and I must confess that I got rid of them all (even though I can answer yes to all the first set of questions). Also some 'professional' installations are not as good as one might hope. Your picture shows that some 'scotchlock' connectors have been used. This would be enough for me to condemn the original installation, remove everything that isn't standard, repair the damage and start again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, your reply makes sense.
Yes I will cut out everything non original, I think it is the phone-part which I don't need because I do not answer a phone while on the road.
The rest is sat-stuff which I do not use (got an updated TT), what leaves is the Alpine video amp that has a video-in plug (yellow din) and a multiplug to the screen so that must be easy.
Thanks again, Tony.

·
Registered
772 Posts
****, I got rid of a head unit that would of worked with that, it's a flip out screen unit, sat nav, dvd etc,, you've 2 options, look for another head unit, or strip out and stick it on eBay, can say for sure that the sat nav would of been much better than the land rover one,, lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts