Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've mounted a 7" Android tablet next to the clock, over the cubby hole in the dash, using the factory mount that came with the unit, that clips onto the windscreen suction cup. It's the perfect spot because the cubby hole holds the wireless receiver for the rear view camera that's connected to the tablet and also hides the extra cable from the hard wired mini USB plug (taking power from the back of the factory stereo plug) to power the unit and keep it charged, plus it's extremely simple to unclip the tablet and take it with you. Sounds just like what you're after?
I'll see if i can get some pictures up...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've mounted a 7" Android tablet next to the clock, over the cubby hole in the dash, using the factory mount that came with the unit, that clips onto the windscreen suction cup. It's the perfect spot because the cubby hole holds the wireless receiver for the rear view camera that's connected to the tablet and also hides the extra cable from the hard wired mini USB plug (taking power from the back of the factory stereo plug) to power the unit and keep it charged, plus it's extremely simple to unclip the tablet and take it with you. Sounds just like what you're after?
I'll see if i can get some pictures up...
That would be most appreciated:)
I intend to mount it over the cubby hole in the dash, and i already have a "spare" switch/ console / clock panel to play around with.
I do want it to be easily removable, and i will be hardwiring a couple of USB sockets.
A rear view camera would be a usefull addition

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've looked into doing this, and found various walk-throughs of 7" tablets being fitted to P38's. The one thing I'd want if I did this was for it to work like a proper unit, that is come on/turn off when I start the car and switch off again as well as integrate into the sound system properly so the steering wheel controls continue to work. I've not been able to figure it out yet without having to replace the head unit with an after market one which personally I don't want to do. I'm always interested to see how others have done this though. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have also looked into this and have done a fair amount of research on this. I also want to keep the original head unit as I like a stock look and just wanted to replace the stock navigation unit with a tablet. To keep the head unit the easiest solution is to replace the CD input. Their is a company call GROM audio that sells an adapter that plugs into the CD input of the head unit and provides a jack to plug in the tablet. There was also a company in England that had a similar product however their web site is no longer functioning so I assume they are out of business. By doing this you should keep the steering wheel controls. I have also looked into various tablets. One of my requirements is to be able to have 4G so I can run Pandora, Sirius or internet radio from the tablet through the head unit. This negates Wi-Fi only tablets unless you get a 4G dongle. Also most of the small tablets seem to be to large to fit where the nav system is. My thought now is to use the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 when it is released. The screen size should be plenty large. As far as turning the system on and off with power, that can be accomplished through an Android program called Taskr (not sure the spelling). That enables you to basically write a simple script to do things like turn off the table when it senses the power is off, turn it on when it senses power, kick off apps, etc. From what I have read it is a very powerful application.
That is my plan, I am just waiting on the right tablet to be introduced and then time to do all the work...

I will be following this thread as I am open to all ideas.

David

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
I've put in a 7" tablet into mine, in place of the stock one.

Have a look under my username, and you'll find the thread I did on it. Also have a full write-up with pictures as a pdf I can send.

The one I'm running is WinCE based, but there are 7" versions out there which are Android, so don't see any reason why one wouldn't work, as long as the dimensions fit..

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had my range rover less than a week and discovered last night that the CD changer doesn't actually work. So rather than spend money on a second hand one I'm probably going to get one of these instead. I'm hoping to run the AUX input lead into the glove box along with a USB connector to provide a power source. I can then get a cheap bluetooth audio receiver to plug into these sockets giving a bluetooth audio connection that I can use for my phone for now, or any tablet install I may do in the future.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking at some navigation options for my 2001 P38

has anyone used or installed a Google Nexus 7 http://www.google.com/nexus/7/ which has a built in GPS ?

At 7" it would appear to fit the stock navigation location in the center console . I would like it to be removable removable and any suggestions on mounting options would be appreciated

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57484949-48/transform-your-nexus-7-into-a-car-tech-powerhouse/
Well it does fit, and can be easily removed, still have some finishing work to do.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very nice. It does just fit. Are you just planning on using it for navigation or are you also running other applications on it? How are you you connecting it to your stero? Keep us posted on this, great job.

David

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
Ok, better late than never, this is what i came up with, plus it's removable which was important to me.
What is this tablet? What's the name of the mount? I'd love to do this.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice. It does just fit. Are you just planning on using it for navigation or are you also running other applications on it? How are you you connecting it to your stero? Keep us posted on this, great job.

David
Thanks,
Initially for GPS navigation and topo maps for off road.
I have a blue tooth OBD2 gadget to run the torque app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/ appears useful.

Connecting to the stereo is not a priority.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good to see that it does fit. Since you managed to get the Nexus 7 Google Tablet to fit, I am going to try the Samsung Galaxy 7" tablet as I want to be able to use other applications that require cellular access. They are basically the same size so it shouldn't be a problem. Please post pictures when you have it fully installed. I agree on the apps that you are looking at. Having the torque app would be nice. Also tasker is a great tool as well. There are other forums that talk about how to use that app to manage power and applications. It is pretty powerful once you figure it out.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Great job.

David

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Making progress.
Still have a cubby box behind the tablet.
Removed EAS switch, allows access to tablet on / off switch,
Hella switches for driving lamps, aux fan overide and rear spot light.
Ram mount for phone.

[IM

G][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
still a work in progress

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looking good. From looking at your pictures it appears that the top of the tablet interferes with the switches along the top. Is that the case? I believe you mentioned that you eliminated the EAS switch, is that because you don't need it? I was hoping that I could fit the tablet and not lose the switches. It also looks like it protrudes slightly on the right hand side. Did you do that so you could slide it out or is it just a tad to big? I like how you did it so you can slide it out. Sorry for all the questions. It is looking great. Love the torque app that you have on your screen. That is a neat addition.

Thanks for all your pictures and answers.

David

1 - 20 of 26 Posts