RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: MY2020 L405 USA Order Guide

The new RR (post-L405) will be unveiled in Sept. 2020. Deliveries start in beginning 2021.
FYI
Not much change in engines and drivetrain; even chassis will stay quite the same. Body and interior will be new. FYI

·
Registered
77 Posts
The new RR (post-L405) will be unveiled in Sept. 2020. Deliveries start in beginning 2021.
FYI
Not much change in engines and drivetrain; even chassis will stay quite the same. Body and interior will be new. FYI
The 2020 model is getting the new engine options for the 6 cylinder variants. I’d be surprised if interior/exterior change until the end of the L405 life since they were updated for the 2019 MY. The cost of development and tooling is so high, it doesn’t make sense to spread it out over a short life. Since the L405 successor will be on a different platform shared across the JLR brand and JLR is short on cash, continued development/changes on the L405 are unlikely.

I believe the engine changes were basically forced on JLR since Ford (I think that is who made them for JLR) wasn’t going to be supplying them with the SC V6 anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
if you have an 18 or newer, waiting might make sense. there's not a ton of difference between MY18/19/20.
under any other circumstance, you should just get one now and enjoy it for the next few years before the new one comes out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine is 2017, so getting the 2020 would definitely be an upgrade. I've decided today after visiting my local dealership to go ahead and trade mine in for the 2020. Since I own a business and I get a heavily big tax deduction it's like I'm getting an upgrade for free!

if you have an 18 or newer, waiting might make sense. there's not a ton of difference between MY18/19/20.
under any other circumstance, you should just get one now and enjoy it for the next few years before the new one comes out.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Interesting. One has to wonder if they didn't bother with the camouflage would people just think it was just another L405? Sure LR wants to get buzz started for the next generation, looking forward to more details.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Current timeline targets

March 2020 - Geneva Autoshow unveil
May 30th 2020 - Reservations (potentially full detailed orders) can be made via dealers. At the latest mid-June.
October 2020 - 2021 models hit US docks

Land Rover has limited to zero update plans for the 2020 model. And the known infotainment/console issues that a potential class action law suit may be filed for will not be resolved in the 2020 model.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Oh so it's going to be next calendar year? Gotta start saving up now but that will work.

I spoke to my dealer recently about how early to put a deposit down. They said since they don't know when the next generation is, it's a bit early. They did tell me that they have 3-4 people who have deposits down for the new Defender.

For those who can't wait, LR has $4,000 incentives for current L405 and L494 and an extra $1,000 if you are a current Land Rover/Jaguar owner.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Current timeline targets

March 2020 - Geneva Autoshow unveil
May 30th 2020 - Reservations (potentially full detailed orders) can be made via dealers. At the latest mid-June.
October 2020 - 2021 models hit US docks

Land Rover has limited to zero update plans for the 2020 model. And the known infotainment/console issues that a potential class action law suit may be filed for will not be resolved in the 2020 model.
Sounds about wrong.

The UK is always getting the first year of the model. UK is still going to have L405 in 2020 meaning they will be getting it in 2021 and US will then see the new model in 2022 the earliest.

Although several people are saying UK will see the new model in 2022 meaning 2023 for US.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh so it's going to be next calendar year? Gotta start saving up now but that will work.

I spoke to my dealer recently about how early to put a deposit down. They said since they don't know when the next generation is, it's a bit early. They did tell me that they have 3-4 people who have deposits down for the new Defender.

For those who can't wait, LR has $4,000 incentives for current L405 and L494 and an extra $1,000 if you are a current Land Rover/Jaguar owner.
Quick question, was the $4,000 incentive on the L405 and L494 a dealer specific incentive or applies to Land Rover dealerships nationally?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just asking because, although advertised as standard, my MY2019 car doesn't have InControl/Apple CarPlay. I didn't think about suing JLR though... (And hey, I quoted from the topic...)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Can you please elaborate on this info and what your source is? I can’t find any info on this. Is this for MY19? MY20?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 3.07.43 PM.jpg

From Edmund's website. I was tipped off because the local dealer never has discounts and then magically every vehicle was $2,000 off MSRP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds about wrong.

The UK is always getting the first year of the model. UK is still going to have L405 in 2020 meaning they will be getting it in 2021 and US will then see the new model in 2022 the earliest.

Although several people are saying UK will see the new model in 2022 meaning 2023 for US.
This has not been Tata practice in several years. For example, the Ingenium 6 motors are debuting simultaneously in US and UK this Fall. The Velar was introduced similarly and the Defender will debut simultaneously in Summer 2020.

Tata has been quite transparent a new 5th Gen RR will debut in Winter 2020 as a MY2021 vehicle on the new MLA chassis platform. The Ford supplied engines are history, in fact the L405 AB and SVR are very limited due to the constrained supply of Ford V8's in inventory. That is in fact the biggest open question with 5th generation RR. The rumor is AB will still be an outsourced V8...biggest rumor has them using a BMW sourced V8--oh the horror!! Other powertrain options will be MY2020 carryover of P395 Ingenium 6 'mild hybrid'. The current P400e plug-in hybrid is likely a carryover but top plug-in hybrid will be based around the Ingenium 6 petrol motor. My personal hope is the PHEV 6 becomes the topline engine offered in AB trim, LWB at very least. Properly designed, the HPEV should be capable of SCV8 power in more refined, smoother delivery. The only outsourced V8 I would be interested in is the Ford GT350 Voodoo flatplane or a Ferrari V8. Please Tata, let's not go back down that ugly BMW rabbit hole.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are folks not getting the updates forwarded from their JLR dealers or just not paying attention? Tata/JLR have publicly announced several of the updates and dates for 5th Gen RR, as well as updates for MY2020. For 2020, the SCV8 is very limited availability, only AB and SV versions as stock of the Ford engine is being exhausted. The production line for that motor has been shuttered. The new 'mild hybrid' P400 based on new 3L Ingenium I-6 will be available in HSE trim, std wheelbase only. P400e PHEV is also SWB only. These units begin shipping in US in mid-August.

The days of US/NA market being delayed a year on product launches has long since passed. The US market is too large and important to JLR to continue that old regimen. The biggest obstacle was always more stringent emissions and safety systems required in US. EU has similar safety and now more stringent emissions thus a US model is quite simple to co-launch. The 5th Gen RR will debut simultaneously in most of globe, including US market in "late 2020" as a MY2021 vehicle. No exact launch date but JLR USA is expecting November 2020. The vehicle will be "substantially lower mass" based on the JLR MLA platform. The P400e model will either be dropped or will become base power option alongside P400 mild hybrid. The new plug-in hybrid version will be P500e, based on Ingenium 6 motor powering rear wheels only while front wheels are powered by single or dual electric motors. A full electric only RR is scheduled for 2025. The AB RR will not debut until 2022 at earliest, supposedly as a forced induction V8 power outsourced. Rumors are BMW will supply the V8....given how awful my 2003 RR was blowing head gaskets, I cannot believe they'd go back down that rabbit hole. I have not been told if/when a LWB 5th Gen RR would be available.

Biggest change is pricing which is expected to climb 12-15%!! Needless to say, I've ordered a 2020 P400 HSE, despite no LWB available. That will get me through the next 8 years, hopefully with same reliability as my 2011.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts