RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 2" Terra Firma MD lift and 265x75x16 Fierce Attitude M/Ts on my 1993 SWB RRC. Here are a few pics of the tires, the install and before/after:

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agreed with the turning radius being increased (assuming the steering stops were adjusted), yet, I off-road my LWB with a 2" lift and 265/75-16 tires without any problems. Yes, the Rangie has rear shock drop kit and extended brake lines, yet, there are no rubbing problems with the tires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
And nice looking Rangie!

As you still have the frt flaps on, trust you have looked under the carpet to make sure all is ok with the floor?

Removed mine as rust was starting to take place as the previous owner didn't check the mounting plate holes and water was getting in.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Agreed with the turning radius being increased (assuming the steering stops were adjusted), yet, I off-road my LWB with a 2" lift and 265/75-16 tires without any problems. Yes, the Rangie has rear shock drop kit and extended brake lines, yet, there are no rubbing problems with the tires.
You must have very stiff springs, what compression rate lbs per inch are they.
Do you really want wheels that won't articulate on an off-road vehicle.
I also suggest that you put it over something that cross axles the wheels and see if the rub or not. That is, say the front left on high ground at the same time as the rear right.

·
Registered
53 Posts
OME MD FRT OME HD REAR. And the articulation with rear drop kit isn't too bad.
The axles of course have been crossed to the degree they can handle without problems.
This isn't set-up to get beat up - if I wanted that I'd fit what my past Rangie had: ARBs frt and rear with a LT230 center diff for the B-W. My comment was that the poster's Rangie will do quite well with his set-up off highway. As mine does.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
OME MD FRT OME HD REAR. And the articulation with rear drop kit isn't too bad.
So you have 180lb springs in the front where 130lb's are standard and you have over 300lb springs in the back where 150lb springs are standard. No wonder you wheels do not move or rub. I have a 2 inch lift in the rear with 170lb springs and around 1.5 inches in the front with 150lb springs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lol!! The wheels move quite nicely thank-you especially when traveling with a full Rover and a roof rack which is why the HD springs are on the back.

It is set-up primarily for nothing crazy off-roading as the beast has been basically brought back to live (took 3 Rangies for the parts and lots, lots of time hunting down parts around the world) and finished with a nice coat of fresh paint.

Originally from Southern California so literally no rust on the inner steel structure.

Nice RRCs are really getting hard to find here in the US and mine is one of the better ones out there so I try to be careful, yet, also use it for which it was designed.

Currently it is residing with us in Switzerland and enjoying the Italian / French Alps when time permits.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Lol!! The wheels move quite nicely thank-you especially when traveling with a full Rover and a roof rack which is why the HD springs are on the back.
LOL!!! You would have to have 1.25 Ton in the back for those springs to move the same as standard. You must carry a lot of stuff and have the rear floor and frame heavily reinforced.

·
Registered
53 Posts
of course they don't act like standard springs, yet, there is no problem with articulation and yes, we carry a fair amount when on extended remote camping trips.

hence the reason for the heavier sprung springs to carry the weight.

and there is no rubbing frt or rear.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
of course they don't act like standard springs, yet, there is no problem with articulation and yes, we carry a fair amount when on extended remote camping trips.

hence the reason for the heavier sprung springs to carry the weight.

and there is no rubbing frt or rear.
I am obviously missing the point. Your springs will only move half as much as standard springs. Therefore your useful articulation is half as much as standard. Obviously you are counting the travel once the springs dislocate on the way down as part of your articulation. As any movement that has no weight on the wheels is pretty useless for traction or off-roading, I do not count the movement once the springs cease to have any weight on them.

I had the ute weighed down over the weekend with all my camping gear, two full 20l jerri cans of fuel, one gerry can of water, full tool box, spare parts, fridge, etc, etc on 170lb springs with no real loss of height in the rear. You must carry a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As long as you do not want to turn in too tight a circle or go off-road, those tyres should be fine.
This rig is driven 2 or 3 times a week and the occasional family camping trip. I did the couple of mods for aesthetics, better clearance and mud/snow performance not primarily for off-road. This weekend the front air dam and fogs come off too more room and better approach. Fortunately, I have a bad ass Rubicon Unlimited with all the fixins' that I utilize for that purpose. I always had my eye out for a RRC and bought this one from a client 2 years ago because I had never seen one in this kind of condition. I plan to use it as needed and keep it for many years and try not to break much. I have other rigs for that ad have been doing this for years - sooo I know all about tires/suspension/gears/winches/lockers etc. thank you very much. Thank you for the comments guys.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
View attachment 69025

"Light" load and you can see the slight drop in the rear. And this is with OME HDs in the rear.
Looks like it is is sitting pretty level to me.
I am not sure what we are debating. I am saying that the rear end won't move with those stiff springs on and you are saying that you have stiff springs so it won't move when you put a load on. Aren't we saying they same thing. It just appears that you are trying to say that the springs have two characteristics, that is they will not move when you load it up, but will somehow move when weight is transferred to them off-road. Someone could make a lot of money if they could work out how to do that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
think they are called "progressive" springs so idea already taken.

not a debate, just saying that with 265/75-16 tires and a mild 2" lift there is no rubbing and the Rangie still can articulate.

it certainly is not a slinky toy suspension yet for overlanding and mild off-road conditions carrying a decent load, the set-up works well.

if I wanted more off-road capability I'd just drop in ARBs frt and rear with a LT230 like I had on my last LWB.

however, this one is going to see more mild conditions so the current suspension set-up is just fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This rig is driven 2 or 3 times a week and the occasional family camping trip. I did the couple of mods for aesthetics, better clearance and mud/snow performance not primarily for off-road. This weekend the front air dam and fogs come off too more room and better approach. Fortunately, I have a bad ass Rubicon Unlimited with all the fixins' that I utilize for that purpose. I always had my eye out for a RRC and bought this one from a client 2 years ago because I had never seen one in this kind of condition. I plan to use it as needed and keep it for many years and try not to break much. I have other rigs for that ad have been doing this for years - sooo I know all about tires/suspension/gears/winches/lockers etc. thank you very much. Thank you for the comments guys.
Dude - Love this setup. I've got the springs and shocks waiting to go on mine. Just need to find some time. I'm curious to know how she handles now? Does the truck float or feel boaty? Does the steering wheel return to center? Let's see a photo with the air dam and fogs removed. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts